The best red salsa recipe ever, easy and healthy, ready in 5 minutes, made with San Marzano tomatoes (or fire roasted) and an authentic touch of cumin. The perfect quick and easy 100% whole foods plant-based vegan dip or appetizer to bring to a game day party or backyard barbecue.
Is Salsa Healthy ?
I can’t count the times I’ve been asked this question and so here goes an entire blog post about it.
Yes, homemade salsa is good for you friends! An oil-free, low calorie food bursting with flavor and loaded with micro nutrients our bodies need to thrive. You control what goes inside!
Lycopene loaded tomatoes, spicy chili, flavorful garlic, scallions, fresh cilantro and citrusy flavor make this an absolute favorite food all year round.
Simply the Best!
Salsa Making Tips:
- Use a food processor to whip up a batch, but pay close attention that you don’t turn it into a smoothie. The “Pulse” button is your friend.
- If you prefer your salsa chunky, I’d suggest using a sharp knife instead and chop everything together by hand on a cutting board. Easy breezy, in any case it should be ready in about 5 minutes.
- Also known as “ Salsa Roja ” this is a simple restaurant style red salsa recipe. It’s perfect for canning or serving right away with chunky guacamole and tortilla chips, pupusas or as a condiment to a main dish. I’ll even use it as a sauce to toss with capellini noodles or drizzle it over steamed rice, black beans , tofu scramble or these vegan street tacos de carnitas.
Best Tomatoes for Salsa:
The recipe calls for sweet San Marzano tomatoes, you are free of course to use the fire roasted variety or whatever canned tomatoes you have in the pantry. However, keep in mind that you will be missing out on some amazing flavor. I’d argue that the magic of this salsa is all in the sweet tomatoes. I’d personally choose any sweet Italian style tomato instead of the fire roasted ones.
note worthy: If you are wanting to make a “ Pico de Gallo “ style salsa then you must use chopped “fresh tomatoes” instead of the canned variety.
P.S. As always friends, If you make this recipe please come back here to rate it in the comments section, snap a photo and tag me with #VeggieSociety on Instagram! It always makes my day ~ Florentina Xo’s
Watch How to Make the Best Vegan Salsa from Scratch:
the Best Red Salsa Recipe
- 28 oz canned whole San Marzano tomatoes (or fire roasted tomatoes but you will sacrifice the flavor)
- 2 scallions
- 1/2 red onion - diced
- 2 cloves garlic - large & grated
- 1 jalapeno pepper - sliced (to your taste)
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin or to taste
- 1 tbsp sweet smoked paprika ( or to taste)
- 1 large lime - juiced
- 1 pinch sea salt + more to taste
- Add the red onion, scallions, garlic and jalapeño to the bowl of a food processor. Give it a buzz or two until chopped.
- Add the tomatoes Without juices, spices and cilantro on top and pour in the lime juice.
- Very carefully press the pulse button a few quick times making sure you don’t over chop the salsa. (Alternately you can chop everything by hand for a chunky version)
- Transfer to a bowl and taste seasonings. Add more lime and sea salt as desired. At this point you can add the reserved tomatoes juices if you are wanting a thinner consistency. Add more smoked paprika for a deeper smokier flavor.
- The recipe calls for sweet San Marzano tomatoes, you are free of course to use the fire roasted variety or whatever canned tomatoes you have in the pantry but i don't guarantee the wow factor.
- Make sure to use Sweet Smoked Paprika not the bitter variety that could easily overpower the rest of the salsa flavors.