Easy and healthy, the best salsa recipe ever, ready in 5 minutes, made with San Marzano tomatoes (or fire roasted) and an authentic touch of cumin. The perfect quick and easy 100% whole foods plant-based vegan dip appetizer to bring to a game day party or backyard barbecue.
Is Salsa Healthy ?
I can’t count the times I’ve been asked this question and so here goes an entire blog post about it.
Yes, homemade salsa is good for you friends! An oil-free, low calorie food bursting with flavor and loaded with micro nutrients our bodies need to thrive. You control what goes inside!
Lycopene loaded tomatoes, spicy chili, flavorful garlic, scallions, fresh cilantro and citrusy flavor make this an absolute favorite food all year round.
Simply the Best!
Use a food processor to whip up a batch, but pay close attention that you don’t turn it into a smoothie. If you prefer your salsa chunky, I’d suggest using a sharp knife instead and chop everything together by hand. Easy breezy, in any case it should be ready in about 5 minutes.
Also known as “ Salsa Roja ” this is a simple restaurant style red salsa recipe, perfect for canning or serving right away with tortilla chips or as a condiment to a main dish. I’ll even use it as a sauce to toss with capellini noodles or drizzle it over steamed rice, beans and vegetables.
The recipe calls for sweet San Marzano tomatoes, you are free of course to use the fire roasted variety or whatever canned tomatoes you have in the pantry. However keep in mind that you will be missing out on some amazing flavor, I’d argue the magic of this salsa is all in the tomatoes. I’d even choose any sweet Italian style tomato instead of the fire roasted ones.
note worthy: If you are wanting to make a “ Pico de Gallo “ style salsa then you must use chopped “fresh tomatoes” instead of the canned variety.
P.S. As always friends, If you make this recipe please come back here to rate it in the comments section, snap a photo and tag us with #VeggieSociety on Instagram! Namaste!
Watch How to Make the Best Salsa Recipe:
the Best Salsa Recipe Ever
- 28 oz canned whole San Marzano tomatoes (or fire roasted tomatoes but you will sacrifice the flavor)
- 2 scallions
- 1/2 red onion - diced
- 2 cloves garlic - large & grated
- 1 jalapeno pepper - sliced (to your taste)
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin or to taste
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika ( or to taste)
- 1 large lime - juiced
- 1 pinch sea salt + more to taste
- Add the red onion, scallions, garlic and jalapeño to the bowl of a food processor. Give it a buzz or two until chopped.
- Add the tomatoes without juices, spices and cilantro on top and pour in the lime juice.
- Very carefully press the pulse button a few quick times making sure you don’t over chop the salsa. (Alternately you can chop everything by hand for a chunky version)
- Transfer to a bowl and taste seasonings. Add more lime and sea salt if desired. At this point you can add the reserved tomatoes juices if you are wanting a thinner consistency. Add more smoked paprika for a deeper smokier flavor.