Easy Chimichurri Sauce – a savory garlic, parsley and oregano sauce recipe originated in Argentina and used as a condiment or marinade for your favorite dishes. Think tacos, crusty bread, plant-based veggie burgers, vegan steaks, grilled vegetables, roasted sweet potatoes and even pizza.
What I love about this sauce besides all the garlic and that it can be made in advance, is that you can whip it up it by hand in no time. Quick and easy to make without the use of a food processor, blender or machinery. All you need is a sharp knife to chop the parsley and oregano in a rustic manner.
What Makes An Authentic Chimichurri ?
There is no cilantro in the authentic Argentinian recipe. However, cilantro is commonly used all through South America and California today. If you fancy the cilantro chimichurri version by all means go that route using half parsley and half cilantro, it is actually super tasty.
Just don’t call it “ traditional or authentic ” or the chimichurri police might take you to jail right away 😉 If you want to be a real rebel at heart I’d encourage you to try a basil and lemon version too, it is really divine!
This Chimichurri Sauce is the Best:
Tangy & Garlicky
Quick and Easy
Choose Authentic Argentinian or Cilantro Chimichurri
Vegan & Gluten-free
- You might really want to double the recipe here as chimichurri keeps very well stored in a tight jar in the refrigerator, about 10 days or so. You could even freeze it in ice cubes trays then transfer to freezer bags for later use, though I’ll argue there’s nothing like freshly minced parsley and garlic hitting your senses.
- Make sure to grate your garlic really fine as sometimes simply chopping it will make it taste bitter. Also, nobody likes to bite into a raw piece of garlic right ? By grating it you get all that amazing garlic flavor throughout the sauce in every bite.
- If you are on a plant based oil-free diet you can adapt the recipe why using a little water or lime juice to stretch out the sauce.
As always If you make this recipe remember to come back here to rate it, snap a photo and tag me with #VeggieSociety on Instagram.
Watch How To Make Easy Chimichurri Sauce:
Easy Chimichurri Sauce Recipe
- 1 bunch flat leaf Italian parsley (or cilantro parsley mix) - leaves only
- 2 tbsp oregano leaves - preferably fresh but you can substitute with dry
- 1 lime - juiced ( or 2 tbsp red wine vinegar)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic -grated
- 1/2 chili pepper - optional
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 pinch sea salt - to your taste
- Add the parsley, oregano, olive oil, chili pepper and lime juice or vinegar to the bowl of a food processor or blender. Process until combined and smooth to your liking. (Alternatively use a sharp knife and chop the herbs on a cutting board)
- Transfer the sauce to a bowl or a jar and stir in the grated garlic and red pepper flakes. Season to your taste with the sea salt and more lime.
- Store in the refrigerator in a tightly closed jar / container for up to 10 ways or freeze for later use.
- For the Cilantro Cimichurri sauce version just use a mix of parsley and cilantro, half and half usually works great.