Our best vegan soup recipes (+ stews) I’ve made over the years. Brimming with flavor, nutrition and comfort, these are the soups you’ll want to revisit often and make throughout the seasons. Some are blended, some chunky and cozy, packed with good for you whole food veggies and out of this world delicious. + Recipe Videos
30+ Best Vegan Soup Recipes
In anticipation of fall, winter, spring and overall just cooler days I’ve gathered our very best and most loved vegan soup recipes into an ever-growing list worth bookmarking for regular future use. From a light raw chilled Gazpacho to clear broth or creamy textures, to hearty, filling and protein packed stews, you are sure to find a few new family favorites here to add to your repertoire. And don’t wait for fall to bring out your favorite soup pot, because according to research eating hot soup on a hot summer day actually helps the body cool down and keep you hydrated.
A fan favorite year after year and truly one of the best and most delicious homemade potato soups you’ll ever make. It starts with a flavor base of plant based Italian sausage seasoned with fennel, onion and garlic and lots of wilted kale then finished with a dairy free cashew cream for the ultimate silky broth.
Creamy cashews and nutritional yeast blended together with golden potatoes and homemade veggie stock give this soup that super rich, cheddar cheesy creaminess without the addition of any cream or dairy at all.
This delicious homemade soup gets its rich flavor base from toasted fennel seeds, rosemary and thyme cooked together in one pot in a hearty tomato broth. It can be adapted with different seasonal garden veggies and variety of pasta or grains to your liking.
Protein packed buttery white beans cooked in a savory broth then topped with burst sweet cherry tomatoes infused with mild notes of roasted garlic and rosemary. This quick vegan white bean soup makes use of canned cannellini beans and can be thrown together in a pinch.
Coconut milk and sumac sets the tone for the savory flavor profile with notes of garlic and ginger in a fire roasted tomato broth. Wilt in plenty of dark leafy greens like baby spinach or kale to boost up the nutritional profile to the max.
Luxuriously creamy but not pureed, instead this soup features the textures of all individual vegetables in their rustic glory to be contrasted by a silky rich broth with notes of garlic and ginger. An exquisite soup to celebrate wild mushrooms but any variety will do.
The depth of flavor and Tuscan vibe in this creamy potato vegetable soup comes from a generous use of fresh woodsy rosemary, a super delicious base of leeks and a bunch of protein packed green peas. Nourishing and gluten-free, without the use of any flour or thickeners.
A savory light chilled soup that originated from the Andalusia region of Spain, it’s packed with the summer’s bounty of cucumbers, heirloom tomatoes and herbs. A no cook recipe just perfect for scorching hot summer days and the best gazpacho you will ever taste!
A good for you recipe for vegan split pea soup made with creamy green split peas and the perfect smokiness throughout infused by a dash of liquid smoke. No ham hock, no meat, no dairy needed for this pure vegetarian bowl of nutrient packed goodness.
If there is one thing that fall couldn’t live without it is this roasted tomato soup made with the last of summer’s very ripe and fragrant heirlooms. The big heavy kind who’s fragrance lingers in the palm of your hand after just a little squeeze. Roasted low and slow with garlic and onion until fully collapsed between bunches of fragrant herbs. You simply can’t get this out of a box.
Your healthy meatless alternative to chicken noodle soup, this favorite classic features extra long angel hair noodles in the most delicious clear broth made with carrot, celery root and parsley. Finish with tons of freshly cracked black pepper and slurp away.
Also known as America’s béchamel, this one is not a looker, its beauty is all on the inside and without a doubt one of the most delicious soups. The broth is coconut based and truly a match made in flavor heaven. Must add to your soup rotation this fall.
Colorful bell peppers are simmered together with leeks, mushrooms and farro in a lightened up but hearty San Marzano tomato broth. A shortcut to the classic stuffed peppers, serve with a drizzle of dairy-free sour cream and a chunk of homemade crusty bread for the ultimate cozy dinner.
Technically this one qualifies as a lentil stew but it’s all semantics right?! It’s a perfect medley of buttery red lentils, golden potatoes with light smoky notes of roasted red peppers and your choice of dark leafy greens like spinach or kale. An easy hearty recipe that checks all the boxes.
15. Pinto Bean Soup
The best thing to happen to pinto beans, this hearty vegan soup / stew boasts deep layers of smoky earthy flavors from a medley of Mexican seasonings, smoked paprika, bay and thyme. 1-Pot goodness made on the stove top, also gluten-freer, packed with delicious clean protein without any bacon or sausage.
16. Jackfruit Stew
Enjoy all the flavors and textures of a classic Tuscan beef stew but without any animal products. This vegan stew has been a fan favorite for years, it’s insanely delicious, a great make ahead soup that tastes even better the second day, filling. satisfying and travels well in a canteen. Not to be missed!
Simply the best interpretation of this favorite classic potato soup you’ll ever find. Reserve some of the caramelized leek for garnish to contrast the heavenly silkiness of the soup. I know you’ll find yourself making this all year long.
This incredible Boston style chowder features a variety of oyster mushrooms in lieu of clams, golden potatoes and cashew cream in a quickly homemade seaweed broth. It’s extra thick and creamy, perfect to serve to company with your favorite saltine crackers on the side.
19. White Bean Stew
A hearty bowl of bean perfection to keep the belly full and warm you to your toes during the colder months. Bold flavors of rosemary and sage come through in every delicious bite, best served Ribollita style with torn pieces of garlic bread over the top. A forever favorite classic to keep on repeat.
20. Chickpea Soup
In a nutshell it’s Pasta e Ceci, or Italian garbanzo bean soup thickened with small shape pasta like Fregola and boasts lovely notes of fennel, rosemary and tomatoes. A fabulous soup or stew to be made from scratch with those dried chickpeas hiding on your pantry.
One for the books, this holiday favorite features a mix of wild chanterelle mushrooms, hen of the woods, tons of leeks and wild rice in a creamy dairy-free white wine broth, Out of this world!
Featuring winter squash, leeks, Lacinato kale and creamy cannellini beans, this Italian favorite screams for crusty bread to mop up any drop of the divine broth.
Silky and dreamy made with a combination of cashews, potatoes and nutritional yeast for the ultimate cheesy but good for you flavor profile. Stove top to blender, brighten up with a squeeze of lemon for the ultimate cauliflower soup. Onion chives or scallions make a great garnish and compliment this blended soup with their mild oniony flavor.
This Neapolitan classic is made with Italian toasted couscous pasta, plant based sausage, meatballs and baby spinach in a clear homemade veggie broth. Outstanding!
Wintery and hearty lentil stew with deep layers of earthy flavors from cumin, coriander and smoked paprika perfectly balanced by the natural sweetness of the potatoes. A total keeper!
26. Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
Don’t let the holidays find you without a pot of this award winning creamy butternut squash soup with apples.
Full of flavorful San Marzano tomatoes and smokey roasted red peppers, this soup never gets old. Serve drizzled with a nice basil pesto and plenty of crusty bread.
28. Dill Pickle Soup
A creamy tangy Polish soup made with potatoes, pickles, tons of fresh dill and finished with a heavy pouring of non-dairy sour cream. Equally delicious hot or straight from the refrigerator during the hot summer months.
29. Cabbage Stew
A hearty version of unstuffed cabbage roll soup, the flavor reaches a perfect balance between fresh cabbage and sauerkraut and just the right amount of smokiness from fire roasted tomatoes and smoked paprika.
Served hot or cold like a gazpacho, I’d argue that this is the best way to enjoy summer beans. Any kind of tender green bean will work but if you can find the flat yellow Romano / Italian yellow beans at your local farmers market it will only make this soup exquisite.
Vegan Soup Recipes
Best Vegan Soup
- 3 links vegan Italian sausage (I used spicy Italian Beyond Meat)
- 2 lb gold potatoes cut into 1/4 inch rounds
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme (or a pinch dried)
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes + more to taste
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp fennel seeds or ground fennel (optional)
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 4 cups Lacinato kale (chopped or use baby kale instead)
- 7 cups water (or your favorite low sodium veggie stock)
- 1/3 cup dry white wine (or squeeze 1/2 lemon)
- S + P to taste
- 1 cup raw cashew pieces
- 1 cup water
Make the Cream
- If using a powerful blender such as a Vitamix simply add the cashew pieces and water to the blender bowl and process until silky smooth. (If your blender is not that powerful plan ahead and soak the cashews in hot water for 20 minutes before processing).1 cup raw cashew pieces, 1 cup water
- Preheat a heavy bottom soup pot over medium heat. Slice the vegan sausage into chunks and add them to the pot. Turn up the heat to hear the sizzle if need be. Cook the sausage until golden then transfer to a bowl and reserve for later.3 links vegan Italian sausage
- To the pot with the sausage drippings add the onion and red pepper flakes and saute until translucent. Stir in the garlic and cook just until fragrant taking care not to let it burn. Stir in the fennel if using and once fragrant add the white wine to deglaze the pan and pick up any brown bits left behind by the sausage. Scrape the bottom of the pan with a flat wooden spoon and cook until the wine has almost all evaporated.1 yellow onion, 6 cloves garlic, 1 tsp red pepper flakes, 1 tsp fennel seeds or ground fennel, 1/3 cup dry white wine
- Add in the potatoes, thyme, bay leaf and smoke paprika. Pour in the water (or veggie stock) and bring to a simmer. Add the nutritional yeast and a pinch of salt. Cook for about 10 minutes until the potatoes are soft but still hold their shape.2 lb gold potatoes, 1 bay leaf, 5 sprigs fresh thyme, 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast, 7 cups water, S + P, 1 tsp smoked paprika
- About 3 minutes before the potatoes are done add the kale. Stir and allow it to completely wilt into the soup. Stir in the cashew cream and simmer a couple more minutes.4 cups Lacinato kale
- Adjust seasonings to taste with salt and pepper and remove from heat. Ladle the soup into bowls, add some of the reserved browned sausage on top and serve hot.3 links vegan Italian sausage, S + P