Bean Soup or Stew ?
Pinto Beans Tips:
- Soak -Remember to soak your beans, ideally for 5 to 6 hours not any longer! This step is very important and there is no way around it if you are after creamy, buttery, melt in your mouth texture.
- Wait on the salt -To make sure your pinto beans will soften and become buttery, wait to add the salt until the last 10 minutes of cooking. This also applies when making vegan tortilla soup and black bean soup.
The Best Vegan Pinto Bean Soup:
Beans Nutrition Facts:
- Beans are some of the richest sources of fiber on the planet, including black beans and this white bean stew.
- They help lower cholesterol
- Act as a blood sugar regular
- Eating beans reduces the risk of cancer
- They are loaded with antioxidants and nutrients
- Rich source of protein
- Good for your heart
- Nature’s perfect food!
How to Make Pinto Bean Soup from Scratch:
Vegan Pinto Bean Soup / Stew
- 3 cups pinto beans -soaked for 6 hours
- 3 carrots -rinsed & sliced into 1/2 inch rounds (no need to peel)
- 1 small yellow onion -cut in half
- 8 cloves garlic -in paper
- 3 leaves bay
- 8 sprigs thyme
- 2 tbsp Mexican seasonings -salt free
- 1 tbsp dry oregano
- 1.5 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 pinch sea salt -to your taste
- 1 pinch freshly cracked black pepper -to taste
- 1/2 cup fresh onion chives -chopped
- 1 lime -cut into wedges
- 1 green chili pepper -thinly sliced for serving
- filtered water - enough to cover by 3 inches
- 1 strip Kombu (to boosts Iodine, optional)
- Add the soaked and rinsed pinto beans to a large heavy bottom stock pot together with the carrots, onion, garlic cloves, bay leaves and thyme + kombu if using. Cover with 8 cups of filtered water and bring to a rapid boil ( the beans should be covered by 2-3 inches of liquid). Turn the flame down to low and cover with a tight lid.
- Simmer for 45 minutes stirring a couple of times, then add the Mexican seasonings, oregano, sweet and smoked paprika. Cover and simmer for another 30 minutes or so until the beans have softened and have a creamy texture.
- About 5 minutes before the soup is done remember to season to taste with smoked sea salt and black pepper. Remove from heat and discard the bay leaves and thyme sprigs. (Optional: discard the garlic cloves and onion If they haven’t disintegrated by this point.)
- Serve with sliced avocado, a good squeeze of lime and spicy chili.
- Depending on how long your beans have soaked and how old they are, you might have to add some extra water during the cooking process, so make sure to adjust as needed.
- I suggest adding 1 strip of Kombu to the beans to boost Iodine. Learn more on NutritionFacts.