Soup or Stew ?
Reasons to Make this Pinto Bean Soup. It’s:
How to Make Pinto Beans Video:
Vegan Pinto Bean Soup / Stew
The best vegan pinto bean soup recipe from scratch. Naturally thick and creamy without the addition of any thickeners, with deep layers of smoky flavors from Mexican seasonings, smoked paprika, bay and thyme.
- 3 cups pinto beans -soaked for 5 hours (no longer than 6)
- 3 carrots -rinsed & sliced into 1/2 inch rounds (no need to peel)
- 1 small yellow onion -cut in half
- 8 cloves garlic -in paper
- 3 leaves bay
- 8 sprigs thyme
- 1.5 tbsp Mexican seasonings -salt free
- 1 tbsp dry oregano
- 1.5 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 pinch sea salt -to your taste
- 1 pinch freshly cracked black pepper -to taste
- 1/2 cup fresh onion chives -chopped
- 1 lime -cut into wedges
- 1 green chili pepper -thinly sliced
- filtered water - enough to cover by 3 inches
Add the soaked and rinsed pinto beans to a large heavy bottom stock pot together with the carrots, onion, garlic cloves, bay leaves and thyme. Cover with filtered water by 3 inches and bring to a rapid boil. Turn the flame down to low and cover with a tight lid.
Simmer for 1.5 hours stirring a couple of times, then add the Mexican seasonings, oregano, sweet and smoked paprika. Cover and simmer for another 30 minutes or so until the beans have softened and have a creamy texture.
About 10 minutes before the soup is done remember to season to taste with sea salt and black pepper. Remove from heat and discard the bay leaves and thyme sprigs. (Optional: discard the garlic cloves and onion If they haven’t disintegrated by this point.)
Serve with sliced avocado, lime wedges and spicy chili.