Friends, let me show you how to make the popular Asian sweet and spicy chili sauce at home from scratch, to dip all your favorite things in. Spring rolls, scallion potato cakes, tofu, tempeh, tacos, chickpea meatballs, you name it, I probably dip them in this fiery liquid! Ha!
Vegan Sweet and Spicy Chili Sauce
- 1.5 tbsp red chili flakes + more to taste
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic - minced or grated
- 1 cup water
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 0.5 tbsp tapioca flour / starch (or less if you prefer a thinner sauce)
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tsp grated ginger - OPTIONAL
- Add the vinegar, water, sugar, red pepper flakes, sea salt and garlic to a saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-low flame. Cook for a few minutes until it starts to thicken. (If doing the ginger version then add it here as well )
- In a small bowl whisk together the tapioca flour + 2 tbsp of water until smooth then add it to the simmering sauce making sure to stir frequently.
- Simmer the sauce another minute or so until thickened to your liking. The sauce will continue to thicken as it cools down so keep that in mind as well. Use a little splash of water to loosen it up a bit if needed.
- Allow to cool off completely before storing in tight lid jars in the refrigerator.
- If you don't have tapioca you can use cornstarch instead.
$9.99/year. No ads.