100% Vegan Plant-Based!
Why Is Sweet and Sour Cabbage Soup Good for You ?
Simple Sweet and Sour Cabbage Soup
- 1 head small green cabbage - shredded
- 16 oz sauerkraut - shredded
- 1 onion - diced
- 1 carrot - diced
- 2 ribs celery sliced
- 1 green bell pepper - diced
- 15 oz canned fire roasted tomatoes - crushed
- 2 leaves bay
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1.5 tbsp caraway seeds
- 1 tbsp peppercorns
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 10 cups water or vegetable broth (low-sodium)
- 1 bunch fresh dill
- 2 tbsp parsley - roughly chopped
- 2-3 tsp olive oil or water
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (optional)
- Heat up a large heavy bottom pot on medium flame. Add a drizzle of olive oil or a splash of water and sautee the onion with a pinch of sea salt for a couple of minutes.
- Stir in the carrot, celery and bell pepper together with the caraway seeds and sautee another 3 minutes or so.
- Stir in the fresh cabbage and cook 5 minutes until wilted.
- Add the smoked paprika, sauerkraut, tomatoes, bay leaves, 1/2 bunch of the dill and peppercorns. Cover with the water or vegetable broth and bring to a simmer. Cook for about 25 minutes until the cabbage is cooked to your liking.
- Taste and adjust seasonings with sea salt. The soup should be sour enough from the kraut but If you prefer more sweetness add the maple syrup at this point.
- Serve hot garnished with the remaining fresh dill and parsley.