A simple cabbage potato soup recipe made with just a handful of humble ingredients, done just right they will make you go back for seconds. Not to worry tough as cabbage is one of the lowest-calorie foods on the planet. Naturally creamy, hearty and healthy, this is minimalism at its finest!
This vegan cabbage soup recipe is one for the books!
Cabbage Potato Soup
- 1 head small green cabbage -finely shredded
- 1 large yellow onion (or 1 leek) -diced
- 1.5 lb golden potatoes -rinsed and diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 5 cups vegetable stock -low sodium
- 1 tbsp caraway seeds
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 pinch sea salt + more to taste
- 6 sprigs thyme
- 5 sprigs fresh dill
- 1/3 cup onion chives -snipped
- 1 drizzle olive oil (or a splash of water for WFPB diet)
- 6 strips smoked tempeh - optional for serving
- Heat up your largest dutch oven or heavy stock pot over medium-low flame. Sautee the onion (or leeks) with a drizzle of olive oil or a splash of water and pinch of salt until wilted and starts to get some color (about 10 minutes).
- Add the red pepper flakes and caraways seeds then stir in the shredded cabbage. Sautee together until wilted and caramelized, making sure to stir often adding a splash of water in between If needed to help create some steam. It should be perfect in about 20 minutes.
- Add the diced potatoes, thyme, dill and vegetable stock and bring to a constant simmer. Cover with a lid and cook for 25 to 30 minutes until the potatoes are cooked through and fall part. Remove from heat and discard the thyme sprigs and dill.
- Use the back of a wooden spoon to mash some of the potatoes against the side of the pot. This will make your soup creamy and hearty without need to puree it at all. Taste and adjust seasonings with more sea salt.
- Meanwhile heat up a cast iron skillet over medium high heat and pan sear the tempeh strips until golden brown on both sides.
- Serve the soup garnished with fresh onion chives, red pepper flakes and crumbled with the pan seared tempeh on top.