A simple Cabbage Potato Soup recipe made with just a handful of humble ingredients, done just right it will surely make you go back for seconds. Not to worry though as cabbage is one of the lowest-calorie foods on the planet. Naturally creamy, hearty and healthy this is minimalism at its finest!
Vegan Cabbage Potato Soup
Soup is probably one of the best uses for cabbage. Besides being warming and comforting, it is also healing and filling especially when combined with potatoes.
I started with a large diced onion (although you could certainly use a leek), and finely shredded green cabbage that I caramelize together in my largest pot until completely wilted and nicely golden round the edges.
A little patience is needed to concentrated the flavors of such rustic basic ingredients before simmering them away with caraway, fresh dill, thyme and tiny dice of golden potatoes.
You want to cook them slowly until the potatoes literally fall apart when pressed against the side of the pot with a wooden spoon. Help a few of them along at the very end, no need to puree anything though the rustic textures are simply wonderful in this old world European classic.
Serve with lots of fresh chopped onion chives or dill, and if you are as fond of smoky tempeh as we are then remember to pan sear a few strips in a cast iron skillet just before serving. A great source of protein, adds a nice crunch with salty and smoky flavors. A great make ahead recipe that tastes even better the next day once all the flavors have had a chance to marry in the fridge.
- Homemade Vegan Bread
- Potato Flatbread
- Drizzle with Chive Pesto
- Dinner Rolls
- Pickled Red Onions.
- Vegan Biscuits.
- Unstuffed Cabbage Stew
- Tuscan White Bean Kale Soup
- Vegan Cabbage White Bean Soup
- Sweet and Sour Cabbage Soup
- Vegan Corned Beef and Cabbage
- Fried Cabbage and Noodles
- Sautéed Cabbage and Onions.
Cabbage Potato Soup
- 1 head small green cabbage -finely shredded
- 1 large yellow onion (or 1 leek) -diced
- 1.5 lb golden potatoes -rinsed and diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 5 cups vegetable stock -low sodium
- 1 tbsp caraway seeds
- 2-3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 8 sprigs thyme
- 8 sprigs fresh dill
- 1/3 cup onion chives -snipped
- 1 drizzle olive oil (or a splash of water for WFPB diet)
- 6 strips smoked tempeh - optional for serving
- sea salt + black pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp liquid smoke
- Heat up your largest dutch oven or heavy stock pot over medium-low flame. Sautee the onion (or leeks) with a drizzle of olive oil or a splash of water and pinch of salt until wilted and starts to get some color (about 10 minutes).1 large yellow onion (or 1 leek), 1 drizzle olive oil (or a splash of water for WFPB diet)
- Add the red pepper flakes and caraways seeds then stir in the shredded cabbage. Sautee together until wilted and caramelized, making sure to stir often adding a splash of water in between If needed to help create some steam. It should be perfect in about 20 minutes. You want to get a nice caramelization all over to create flavor.1 tbsp caraway seeds, 1 pinch red pepper flakes, 1 head small green cabbage
- Add the diced potatoes, thyme, dill, onion powder, nutritional yeast, vegetable stock and liquid smoke then bring to a constant simmer. Cover with a lid and cook for 25 to 30 minutes until the potatoes are cooked through and fall part. Remove from heat and discard the thyme sprigs and dill.1.5 lb golden potatoes, 2-3 tbsp nutritional yeast, 2 tsp onion powder, 8 sprigs thyme, 8 sprigs fresh dill, 1/4 tsp liquid smoke, 5 cups vegetable stock
- Use the back of a wooden spoon to mash some of the potatoes against the side of the pot. This will make your soup creamy and hearty without need to puree it at all. Taste and adjust seasonings sea salt and black pepper at this point.sea salt + black pepper
- Meanwhile heat up a cast iron skillet over medium high heat and pan sear the tempeh strips until golden brown on both sides. Serve the soup garnished with fresh onion chives, red pepper flakes and crumbled with the pan seared tempeh on top.6 strips smoked tempeh, 1/3 cup onion chives
- If you like your soup to have a smoky flavor you can add about 1/2 tbsp smoked paprika or a 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke. This is strongly recommended if you are going to skip the smoky tempeh, otherwise it's totally optional.