Best Shiitake Mushroom Gravy Ever!
- I went for some fresh shiitakes that can be sliced or chopped up to your liking.
- To intensify the mushroom flavor I also mixed some mushroom powder into the veggie stock before making the gravy. You could use dried shiitake powder or mix it up a bit with porcini or morels or skip that step altogether.
- Instead of shiitakes you could use a mix of your favorite fresh wild mushrooms here, just make sure to use varieties that you actually love.
the plant-based milk:
- My top choice here is a plain homemade cashew milk. Any unsweetened plant based milk will do with coconut being the richest of all.
- If opting to go with coconut milk instead please consider that the flavor will change a bit, so it’s good to make sure you and your guests are fans of it first.
- If you were to thin out the gravy a little bit with some extra milk or veggie stock it can be used to make a pot pie. Just cover with a sheet of vegan puff pastry and bake until golden.
what to serve with shiitake mushroom gravy:
how to make vegan mushroom gravy from scratch:
- Sautee the mushrooms with the onions and garlic in a little drizzle of olive oil or veggie stock untill softened.
- Hit it with a splash of white wine and infused with fresh thyme.
- Stir in some whole wheat pastry flour and mushroom infused miso veggie stock. Simmer until thick.
- Make it extra creamy by stirring in some cashew or coconut milk. Adjust seasonings and enjoy!
Can I freeze mushroom gravy ?
Yes you can! Make sure to cool it off completely before freezing it in freezer proof containers up to 3 months. Thaw out in the refrigerator before reheating.
Is vegan mushroom gravy healthy ?
Yes, this gravy can be healthy as it uses only whole food ingredients. Just make sure to ditch the oil and sautee the mushrooms in some veggie stock or water. Instead of the whole wheat pastry flour a gluten free alternative like brown rice or tapioca can be used if needed.
P.S. If you make this recipe please come back here to rate it, snap a photo and tag me with #VeggieSociety on Instagram, it always makes my day ~ Florentina Xo’s
Vegan Shiitake Mushroom Gravy
- 8 oz shiitake mushrooms
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 tbsp whole wheat pastry flour (or all purpose flour)
- 2 Tbsp tamari
- 2 cups veggie stock warm
- 1/2 tbsp shiitake mushroom powder (or porcini)
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tbsp miso paste
- 3/4 cups cashew milk or any plan plant based milk
- 5 sprigs thyme
- 1/3 cup veggie stock (or dry white wine)
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Whisk together the warm veggie stock with the mushroom powder, miso paste, tamari and nutritional yeast until combined well. Set aside.
- Rinse the shiitake mushrooms and discard the stalks or save for later use in veggie broth. Slice or dice the mushroom caps to your liking.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium flame and sautee the onions with a pinch of sea salt in a drizzle of olive. (Use water or veggie stock for WFPB & Plantricious diets).
- Add the mushrooms, thyme and the white wine and sautee together until wilted and most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds or so just until you can smell it.
- Add the flour, give everything a good stir and pour in the warm broth. Continue stirring until combined.
- Simmer until thickened then add the cashew milk and simmer a couple more minutes until the gravy is smooth and creamy.
- Adjust seasonings to taste with sea salt and black pepper.
- Serve over mashed potatoes, polenta or biscuits.