The best vegan Mushroom Wellington recipe stuffed with spinach, caramelized leeks, Beyond Meat Italian sausage and plant-based smoked gouda. Hearty, meaty, golden, flaky deliciousness!
Vegan Mushroom Wellington
About the Mushrooms
I used commonly found baby bellas, these are available year round and work great in this recipe. If you happen to have wild mushrooms in season right now like golden Chanterelles or lobster mushrooms I highly recommend the splurge, their flavors are uniquely delicious and fit for a holiday dinner.
Fun fact: Mushrooms are a fungus growing on decaying wood and cow patties and scavenge of organic matter. Yes they are still vegan silly rabbit, so eat them guilt-free.
- Vegan Green Bean Casserole
- Heirloom Roasted Carrots
- Vegan Mashed Potatoes
- Spinach Strawberry Salad
- Mushroom Wild Rice Soup
- Thanksgiving Wild Rice Pilaf
- Vegan Stuffing + Sausage Gravy
- Scalloped Potatoes
- Vegan Turkey
- Holiday Roast
- Healthy Creamed Spinach.
Tips + FAQ
- Is Puff Pastry Vegan Friendly? – Only if you purchase a vegan brand, so make sure to check the ingredients list on the package or make your own. (I used the Aussie bakery puff pastry but availability depends on your store). Dufour Pastry Kitchen, Wewalka and Pepperidge Farms all offer a good plant-based puff pastry, check both the freezer and the refrigerator sections.
- Make Ahead + Reheating – This Wellington roast can be partially prepared ahead. Cook all the fillings and refrigerate until ready to assemble and bake. Serve it freshly baked if possible, straight out of the oven while warm and flaky, although the leftovers are perfectly delicious enjoyed at room temperature. To reheat just pop them in the toaster oven for a few minutes, reheat under the broiler or the oven @375″ for about 25 minutes or so.
- Why do we score the puff pastry? – Scoring the pastry loaf before baking creates a pretty design but most importantly those little vents help the steam escape preventing a big mess in the oven.
how to make vegan mushroom Wellington recipe
Vegan Mushroom Wellington
- 1 lb baby bella mushrooms -sliced
- 1 leek -sliced and rinsed well
- 1/2 lb baby spinach
- 2 9x9 vegan puff pastry sheets
- 2 links Beyond Meat Italian Sausage
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 4 cloves garlic -minced
- 10 sprigs thyme (leaves only)
- 4 leaves sage -sliced
- 2-3 slices vegan smoked gouda cheese (or your favorite kind)
- sea salt + black pepper to taste
- Defrost the puff pastry according to the directions on the box. Preheat oven to 400”F.
- Slice and rinse the leeks well then add them to a large skillet with a splash of veggie stock, water or a light drizzle olive oil and a pinch of sea salt. Sautée until wilted and they start to caramelize, about 15 minutes or so. Add more liquid as needed taking care not to burn them.1 leek
- At this point you can transfer the leeks to a bowl and keep warm, or if your skillet is extra large just add the sliced mushrooms to the pan. Continue sautéing until almost all the liquid has evaporated. Add the garlic, thyme, sage and give it a good stir.1 lb baby bella mushrooms, 4 cloves garlic, 10 sprigs thyme, 4 leaves sage, sea salt + black pepper to taste
- Add the white wine. Bring everything to a simmer and continue cooking until all the liquid has evaporated, you want a final mixture on the dry side so your puff pastry won’t get soggy. Taste and adjust seasonings with sea salt and black pepper to taste.1/3 cup dry white wine
- Preheat a cast iron skillet on medium high flame and add the Beyond Meat sausage. You can slice it into chunks before adding to the pan or just break it up with a flat sided wooden spoon. Sear until golden then transfer to a bowl.2 links Beyond Meat Italian Sausage
- Add the spinach to the same skillet with a dash of garlic powder. Toss to coat well and only cook until wilted. Taste for seasonings then transfer it to a colander and allow it to drain while you start on the puff pastry.1/2 lb baby spinach
- Use a rolling pin and roll out the puff pastry on a sheet of parchment paper. Spread the mushroom mixture in the center leaving about 1-2 inch space at the edges. Top with the Beyond sausage, smoked gouda cheese and sauteed spinach.1 lb baby bella mushrooms, 2 9x9 vegan puff pastry sheets, 2 links Beyond Meat Italian Sausage, 2-3 slices vegan smoked gouda cheese, 1/2 lb baby spinach
- Roll out the second sheet of puff pastry and use it to cover all the ingredients like a blanket. Press down all around the sides to create a seal. Using a sharp knife trim away the extra pastry. (reserve it to create fun garnish designs like the hearts i made if desired)2 9x9 vegan puff pastry sheets
- Use the back of a fork to help press the edges of the puff pastry sheets into each other and create a tight seal. Lightly carve a diamond pattern on top of the pastry and garnish with the cut out hearts.
- Meanwhile whisk together the ingredients for the vegan egg wash and brush the top of the puff pastry with it.1 tbsp aquafaba, 1 tbsp cashew milk, 1 tsp dijon mustard, 1 drizzle maple syrup
- Carefully transfer it to a large baking dish and bake in the preheated 400”F oven for 45 minutes or until golden brown on top. Check at the 35 minute mark. OPTIONAL: Serve with veggie gravy on the side.
- Assembling the Wellington - It's best to assemble your mushroom Wellington directly on the baking dish lined with parchment paper, this way you don’t have to worry about dropping it or tearing during transfer.
- The Filling - If you prefer your filling more of a pate style make sure to chop the mushrooms instead of slicing them.
- Nutrition Facts - Sometimes not all the ingredients are included in the nutrition label because not all of them are available in the software(ex. beyond sausage). If on a strict diet I suggest you use your own calculator for exact nutrition facts.
- Is Puff Pastry Vegan Friendly? - Only if you purchase a vegan brand, so make sure to check the ingredients list on the package or make your own. (I used the Aussie bakery puff pastry but availability depends on your store). Dufour Pastry Kitchen, Wewalka and Pepperidge Farms all offer a good plant-based puff pastry, check both the freezer and the refrigerator sections.