Did you know you can scramble tofu like eggs ?
It’s really a thing right now you guys, absolutely legit and if you have’t already you should totally go make some right away (+ this vegan frittata) . Enjoy the basic healthy recipe below but feel free to indulge if you like by adding some vegan bacon, soy chorizo or beyond sausage. I try to limit my processed foods intake to once a week so the below recipe is what I make most of the times.
Scramble Seasonings that Makes it Taste like Eggs:
- Kala Namak Black Salt
The combination of those two magical ingredients together with the texture of the pressed tofu gives this vegan tofu scramble the ultimate flavor and texture. I also added a little pinch of smoked paprika, onion and garlic powder to make it next level.
As we all know chicken eggs contain lots of fat that contributes to their richness. You can achieve the same result with tofu by sauteeing in olive oil and adding an extra drizzle before serving. (To keep it as healthy as possible and stay WFPB compliant you must omit the oil of course).
What is Kala Namak Salt ?
Which tofu to use and do you need to press it ?
- In order for the tofu to absorb all the wonderful eggy flavors from the spices it is recommended that it be pressed first. A quick press of 45 minutes or so is more than enough.
- Just use a lint free kitchen towel to press out as much as the water as possible, you will have the best canvas to work with at this stage.
- Using firm tofu is recommended, personally i believe it lends the ideal fluffy texture opposed to the extra firm blocks that could be quite dense in my opinion.
How long does it last ?
If you happen to have any leftovers you can store them in a glass container in the fridge up to 4 days. You could also make a large batch in advance and reheat as needed throughout the week. Unlike chicken eggs, tofu reheats wonderfully in a couple of minutes on the stove top.
What to serve with:
Is tofu healthier than eggs ?
The best vegan breakfast scramble:
Super simple & extra delicious.
How to make vegan tofu scramble from scratch:
Vegan Tofu Scramble
- Start by draining and pressing the tofu. Use a lint free kitchen towel and wrap the tofu pressing as much water out of it as possible. Place it on a plate with a heavy pot or pan on top and allow to press for about 45 minutes. ( Alternatively you can refrigerate and press overnight if you want).
- Use your hands and tear the drained tofu into irregular bite size pieces.
- Preheat a seasoned cast iron skillet over medium low flame. Saute the onion with a little drop of veggie stock (or a light drizzle of olive oil) until translucent and starts to caramelize. (Omit oil on WFPB & Plantricious diets).
- Stir in the chili flakes then add the smoked paprika, turmeric, onion and garlic powders and toss to coat taking care not to burn them. Add a pinch of the Kala Namak salt then add the tofu.
- Use a flat end wooden spoon to break up the tofu into smaller pieces to your liking but try keeping some bigger chunks for a fluffy texture. Stir to coat well all over in the spice mix.
- Cook for a few minutes until the tofu is warmed through and coated all over with the spices. Taste and adjust seasonings with the Kala Namak salt. If you are after a more intense eggy flavor you might want to add more of the sulphur salt but please don’t over do it.
- Garnish with scallions or chives and enjoy on toast or next to beans and rice or inside tacos.