Vegan Sweet and Sour Tofu, a super tasty and simple Thai dish made with crispy pan seared tofu cubes that are finished in a luscious sweet and sour sauce and vegetables. Perfect served with a bowl of rice or tossed with your favorite noodles.
I started by sautéing some bell peppers and scallions I had in the fridge (broccoli florets would be amazing here too) then added the sauce and finally the pan seared tofu to absorb as much of that goodness as possible.
You can seriously forget about greasy take-out with this delicious quick tofu recipe in your back pocket.
Add In Ideas:
What is Tofu ?
A high plant protein food made using soy curd that is pressed into white blocks. It is low in calories with neutral flavor and ideal texture for soaking up whatever flavor you want to give it. It can be soft, firm or extra firm.
How to Press Tofu and Make It Crispy:
- Remove the tofu from its package and pat dry very well with a dish towel or paper towels.
- Line a plate with a dish towel or a few paper towels and place the tofu on top.
- Cover the tofu block with a few more paper towels.
- Place a heavy cast iron skillet or pot on top of the tofu.
- Allow the tofu to press at room temperature for 30 to 45 minutes. (If pressing the tofu overnight make sure to place it in the refrigerator.)
- Once pressed cut the tofu into cubes and use a paper towel to pat dry any remaining moisture. At this point you want to dust the cubes with tapioca flour and toss them to coat well.
- Meanwhile you heat up a cast iron skillet to which you add just enough oil to coat the bottom so nothing sticks. Pan sear the tofu cubes until golden on all sides and toss with your sauce.
How to Make Baked Sweet and Sour Tofu:
Follow the exact recipe below, only instead of pan searing the tofu you are going to bake it at 400”F on a parchment lined baking sheet for about 25 minutes (or until golden) tossing it half way. Meanwhile prepare the sauce and toss everything together.
Is Tofu Healthy ?
How to Make Sweet and Sour Tofu Video:
Sweet and Sour Tofu Recipe (Vegan)
Vegan Sweet and Sour Tofu, a super tasty and simple Thai dish made with crispy pan seared tofu cubes that are finished in a luscious sweet and sour sauce and vegetables.
- 14 oz block extra firm tofu (organic, drained and pressed)
- 2 bell peppers (your favorite colors)
- 3 scallions
- 4 tbsp tapioca flour
Sweet and Sour Sauce
- 1/3 cup filtered water
- 3.5 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 1.5 tbsp ketchup
- 3 tbsp brown sugar or agave
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 pinch sea salt
Try to drain and press the tofu in advance. Use some paper towels to pat it dry as best as you can. Slice it lengthwise and pat dry again. Continue cutting the tofu into small cubes and pat them dry some more. If prepping tofu in advance you can place it on paper towels in the fridge at this point and allow to air dry overnight. This step will really help your tofu get extra crispy.
Just before cooking dust the tofu cubes with the tapioca and use your hands to toss it well to coat all over.
Preheat a large cast iron skillet over medium flame and add a drop of olive oil, enough to coat the entire bottom. Start adding the tofu cubes and pan sear on all sides until golden. Transfer to a bowl until needed. Make sure to work in batches so you don’t overcrowd the pan.
Meanwhile preheat a large skillet over medium flame.
Cut the bell peppers and scallions into one inch pieces, discard the core from the peppers.
Add all of the sauce ingredient to a bowl and whisk them together. Set aside.
Add the peppers and scallions to the skillet together with a splash of water and pinch of sea salt. Saute a few minutes until the peppers just begin to soften.
Pour the sauce over the peppers and bring to a simmer. Add the tofu and give it a good stir. Cook everything together until the sauce starts to thicken and tofu is nicely coated all over.
Serve hot over a bed of rice or tossed with soba or ramen noodles.