A light dusting of tapioca helps the tofu develop a perfectly crisp thin crust without the need of any oil at all.
preparing the tofu:
After patting dry / pressing the tofu make sure to tear it into irregular bite size pieces. Do not cut it into perfect squares or triangles, you want a rustic texture with irregular curves and edges that will give you lots of caramelized little bits all over the surface.
how to make the orange glaze:
You can make the glaze using almond, cashew or walnut butter but not peanut butter which would overwhelm it. It only works with a milder flavor like the ones mentioned. You really want the orange from both the juice and the orange peel to shine through and not get lost.
Not in this case, the marinade isn’t necessary as you’ll be tossing it all in a luscious glaze after all.
Q: What’s the best air fryer ?
I only have experience with my Cuisinart Air Fryer which I absolutely love. It doubles down as a spacious toaster and convection oven, we literally use it every day.
Q: Is soy healthy ?
Spend some time with some unbiased scientific research papers on soy foods and you’ll be amazed at all the health benefits. Dr. Michael Greger breaks them down into short digestible videos over on the NutritionFacts.org website.
what to serve with orange tofu:
- favorite noodles
- roasted broccoli
- bell pepper stir fry
- sauteed asparagus & onions
- vegan fried rice
- fresh chives
- sesame seeds.
Orange Tofu ~ Air Fryer Recipe
- 14 oz block firm tofu, organic non-GMO
- 1 tbsp tapioca
- sea salt to taste
- 4 tbsp orange juice
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp almond butter, cashew or walnut
- 4 inch orange peel
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes (or dried red chilis to taste)
Air fry the Tofu:
- Drain the tofu and wrap it in a tea towel patting dry as much of the moisture as possible. Place a heavy pan on top and allow to press at room temperature for a couple of hours.
- Use your hands and tear the tofu into irregular 1.5 inch pieces. Sprinkle with the tapioca and a pinch of sea salt and toss to coat well.
- Line an air fryer tray with parchment paper and place the tofu on top without touching each other. Air fry at 400”F for 14 minutes tossing half way. Do not overcook the tofu or it will dry out too much. Remove it from the air fryer as soon as the time is up even if you aren’t using it right away.
Make the Orange Glaze:
- Whisk all the glaze ingredients together until combined. Transfer to a skillet and bring to a simmer. Cook on medium flame until thick and sticky, about two minutes or so.
- Add the air fried tofu to the orange glaze and toss to coat well. Serve over noodles or a bed of rice garnished with the fresh chives, scallions, sesame seeds or extra red chili for heat.