Did i mention that it’s also vegan ?!
Oh yeah, even the optional walnut parmesan is, which you should totally make as well and keep a stash of it on hand at all times. Magical sprinkling dust.
Can I Roast It Without Oil ?
Yes you can kids. Simply replace the oil with a splash of veggie stock, water or a drizzle of tahini / sesame butter. However, just know that you won’t be achieving those crispy edges I bragged about but it will still be super tasty and healthy.
Oven Roasted Broccoli Tips
- Make sure to start with fresh broccoli NOT frozen, to achieve the perfect tender center and crispy tips.
- Give it space in the pan, do not overcrowd the florets! Overcrowding creates steam and interferes with the browning process.
- Use high heat! I roast mine at 425″F and it’s usually ready in under 25 minutes depending on the size of the florets.
- If you must work with “frozen broccoli” you should do it at a higher temperature of at least 450″F for 15-18 minutes then transfer to the broiler for a couple of minutes to crisp up the edges.
Vegan Roasted Broccoli Variations:
- Make it Italian style and finish with a drizzle of sweet and tangy balsamic glaze like I did with these balsamic tomatoes.
- Go for a Mediterranean flair with a squeeze of lemon, some crumbled vegan feta + fresh herbs like oregano or dill.
- Give it an Asian spin with a drizzle of this peanut sauce and a sprinkling of sesame seeds.
Vegan Roasted Broccoli with Lemon & Garlic
- 1 lb broccoli florets (or a mix of cauliflower & broccoli)
- 1/3 cup panko bread crumbs (gluten-free)
- 2.5 tsp extra virgin olive oil (or water for WFPB)
- 1 lemon -halved
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1.5 tsp onion powder
- 1 pinch red chili flakes -to taste
- 1/2 tsp sea salt +more to taste
- 1/4 cup vegan walnut parmesan for serving -OPTIONAL
- Preheat oven to 425”F.
- In a large baking tray toss together the broccoli florets with the olive oil, sea salt, pepper flakes, garlic and onion powders. Sprinkle with the bread crumbs then spread in one layer preferably without touching each other.
- Roast in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes until the florets are tender (but not mushy) when pierced with a knife. Toss once half way through cooking.
- Serve promptly with a good squeeze of lemon juice and a sprinkling of walnut parmesan over the top.
- It's very important that the broccoli / cauliflower is dry if you want to achieve the crispy edges. Rinse in advance and give it plenty of time to dry out completely.
- To make this recipe WFPB & Plantricious compliant make sure to omit all oil and roast with a little splash of water, veggie stock or a couple of teaspoons of tahini.
- Give the broccoli space in the pan, do not overcrowd the florets! Overcrowding creates steam and interferes with the browning process. If you must work with " frozen broccoli" you should roast it at a higher temperature of at least 450"F for 15-18 minutes then transfer to the broiler for a couple of minutes to crisp up.