Did i mention that it’s also vegan ?!
Yeah, even the optional walnut parmesan is, which you should totally make as well and keep a stash of it on hand at all times. Magical sprinkling dust.
FAQ: Can I Roast Broccoli Without Oil ?
Yes you can kids. Simply replace the oil with a splash of veggie stock or water. However, just know you won’t be achieving those crispy edges I bragged about but it will still be super tasty and healthy.
Roasted Broccoli Tips:
- Make sure to start with fresh broccoli not frozen to achieve the perfect tender center and crispy tips.
- Give it space in the pan, do not overcrowd the florets! Overcrowding creates steam and interferes with the browning process.
- Use high heat! I roast mine at 425″F and it’s usually ready in under 25 minutes depending on the size of the florets.
Best Roasted Broccoli with Lemon & Garlic
- 1 lb broccoli florets (or a mix of cauliflower & broccoli)
- 1/3 cup panko bread crumbs (gluten-free)
- 2.5 tsp extra virgin olive oil (or water for WFPB)
- 1 lemon -halved
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1.5 tsp onion powder
- 1 pinch red chili flakes -to taste
- 1/2 tsp sea salt +more to taste
- 1/4 cup vegan walnut parmesan for serving -OPTIONAL
- Preheat oven to 425”F.
- In a large baking tray toss together the broccoli florets with the olive oil, sea salt, pepper flakes, garlic and onion powders. Sprinkle with the bread crumbs then spread in one layer preferably without touching each other.
- Roast in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes until the florets are tender (but not mushy) when pierced with a knife. Toss once half way through cooking.
- Serve promptly with a good squeeze of lemon juice and a sprinkling of walnut parmesan over the top.
- It's very important that the broccoli / cauliflower is dry if you want to achieve the crispy edges. Rinse in advance and give it plenty of time to dry out completely.
- To make this recipe WFPB & Plantricious compliant make sure to omit all oil and roast with a little splash of water, veggie stock or a couple of teaspoons of tahini.