Vegan Frittata Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure policy.
Eggy vegan frittata with chickpea flour, broccoli, bell peppers and greens. Quick and easy to make, protein loaded, egg-free, dairy-free and good for you. It makes for a hearty breakfast, brunch or dinner with stove topped oven baked method included.
What is a Frittata ?
Also called an Italian omelette, frittata is an egg-based dish similar to a crustless quiche and loaded with veggies. This is my vegan version that can be made on the stove top (the quickest method) or the oven. I really hope you give it a try, it might just become a new favorite. You can follow the oven method below and bake it inside a pie crust but that is a little bit more involved and time consuming.
I sautéed a mix of onion, bell pepper, broccoli and bok choy. This changes based on what’s in season, you can use whatever you like here: asparagus, zucchini, butternut squash, cauliflower, eggplant, tomatoes, potatoes etc. Measure about 2 to 3 cups for a hearty veggie loaded frittata.
The base of the frittata batter is chickpea flour whisked together with spices and plant milk or water. This can be quickly done by hand but the fluffiest texture is achieved when using a blender.
The Eggy Flavor
The magic of the eggy flavor come from the sulfur salt Kala Namak, same seasoning I use for my tofu scramble as well. Of course the dish is still delicious without it so if you don’t have any don’t let that hold you back from making it.
What To Serve With:
Hot sauce or sriracha for some attitude.
These pickled red onions
Cucumber tomato salad
Sliced up avocados
Scallions, chives, hemp or sesame seeds
A few dollops of homemade cashew ricotta.
These to die for roasted cauliflower steaks.
Vegan mushroom gravy
Drizzled with chimichurri sauce or this sun dried tomato pesto.
Alongside scalloped potatoes, roasted rosemary potatoes or sweet potatoes.
Vegan Chickpea Flour Frittata
If you happen to have any leftovers they can be stored in the refrigerator in a lidded container for up to 5 days. Reheats well in the toaster oven or the microwave for about a minute or so.
- Can I make it as a Quiche ?
Absolutely! Make sure to bake a whole wheat pie crust ahed of time. Saute the veggies, add them to the pie crust then pour the chickpea frittata batter on top. Bake in a preheated 375”F oven for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out almost clean.
As always, if you make this recipe please come back here to rate it, snap a photo and tag me with #VeggieSociety on Instagram, it always makes my day ~ Florentina Xo’s
how to make vegan frittata
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1/2 onion diced or sliced
- 1 bunch baby bok choy chopped
- 3 strips of smoky tempeh (chopped + optional)
- the Batter
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1 cup cashew milk water (or any plain plant milk you like)
- 1 tsp kala namak sulphur salt
- 3/4 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dijon mustard optional
- Add ins: 1/3 cup vegan feta Violife, plant based smoked gouda or homemade cashew ricotta.
- Preheat a 10 inch cast iron skillet over medium heat and sear the smoky tempeh until golden. Use a spoon and transfer to a bowl and set a side.
- Add a light drizzle of olive oil to the skillet (or veggie stock for WFPB Plantricious compliance) and sautee the onion with a pinch of salt until softened and starts to get some color.
- Add the broccoli florets, bell pepper and tougher parts of the bok choy. Cook until it al dente or soft to your liking.
- Meanwhile combine all the batter ingredients in a blender and process until smooth. Alternatively you can use a whisk and do it by hand.
- Pour the batter over the sautéed veggies, sprinkle with the tempeh and if using the vegan feta cheese. Continue cooking 2 to 3 minutes until you see the sides starting to set.
- At this point you can transfer the frittata under the broiler for anther 2 to 3 minutes until the top is golden to your liking and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out almost clean. Alternatively you can carefully flip the frittata in the pan and cook another 2-3 minutes just like you would a pancake.
- How to Make a Frittata Quiche
- Start by baking a pie crust ahead of time (i use a frozen crust and follow package directions). Sautee the veggies, add them to the cooked pie crust then pour the chickpea frittata batter on top. Sprinkle with the tempeh and vegan feta cheese and bake in a preheated 375”F oven for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out almost clean.
- Storage: If you happen to have any leftovers they can be stored in the refrigerator in a lidded container for up to 5 days. Reheats well in the toaster oven or the microwave for about a minute or so.
- Can I make this Frittata as a Quiche ? Absolutely! Make sure to bake a whole wheat pie crust ahead of time. Sautee the veggies, add them to the pie crust then pour the chickpea frittata batter on top. Bake in a preheated 375”F oven for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out almost clean.
You’ll Also Love:
I ended up using 1 cup milk and 1 cup of water. It came out pretty good. Cooked it in a pie pan with parchment paper on the bottom and frozen hash browns for the crust at 375 for 45 minutes.
Leftovers can be reheated in a waffle maker….kids love it! Very portable!
This is delicious!!!! I made this to bring camping for my little one and she’s going to love it!!!
Hi, can this be frozen?
Yes, freeze in individual containers and thaw out in the fridge.
Your pop up ads on Pinterest are out of control. Can’t even look at the recipe with out being interrupted.
Hello Renaldo, I do not have any control over anything on Pinterest, those are not my ads, I just pin my recipes there. If you would like to have an ad-free experience on the VeggieSociety blog you can Go Premium and make sure to be logged in 🙂