The best vegan Caesar salad dressing recipe ever, with tahini, garlic, lemon, nutritional yeast and a sprinkling of salty capers. Creamy, oil-free, egg-free, no anchovies and 100% WFPB Plantricious.
Vegan Caesar Dressing without the Anchovies!
A salad dressing that’s finally good for you, no eggs, no oil and no dairy.
About the Salad Dressing:
- Traditionally Caesar dressing is made with lots of oil, egg yolk, stinky anchovies, Worcestershire sauce (aka the kitchen sink), lemon, garlic and mustard. We can definitely make it better, healthier and cruelty-free so vegans can eat it.
- Clearly soaking cashews like I do for the Alfredo sauce, or any nuts for that matter was not an option. Instead I went for a creamy organic tahini paste that I always have on hand, no nuts needed this time. Literally ready in 5 minutes, start to finish! If you really don’t like tahini you can replace it with creamy cashew or walnut butter.
- You can use this Caesar salad dressing to dress any leafy greens you like. I mixed the classic crunchy romaine with some sprouts but any micro greens, baby arugula, spinach and even kale make a great addition.
- Store any dressing leftovers in a glass jar in the refrigerator for up to 10 days or more. I usually like to double the recipe so I can have some handy at all times.
- It’s soooo crazy delicious you could definitely serve it for Thanksgiving and Christmas + bring it to all the summer cook outs forever and ever alongside these vegan ribs and potato salad.That olive wood bowl you see in the photo below travels a lot 😉
About the Croutons:
I’ve never been a fan of store bough croutons, so instead all I do here is make classic garlic bruschetta. Grilled or broiled slices of bread rubbed with garlic on both sides and lightly brushed with olive oil (skip the oil for wfpb & plantricious diets). Sprinkle with sea salt and cut into cubes (or tear into bite size pieces if you are me) then just toss in the salad bowl. Shave a few macadamia nuts over the top for the ultimate parmesan flavor!
You’ll love this vegan dressing. It’s:
Garlicky, Lemony & Homemade.
P.S. If you try this recipe make sure to report back, leave me a comment rating below, snap a photo of your dish and tag me with #VeggieSociety on Facebook + Insta, it always makes my day. ~ Florentina Xo’s
Best Vegan Caesar Salad Dressing
- 2 tbsp organic tahini paste (can be replaced with cashew or walnut butter)
- 3 tbsp dijon mustard or whole grain
- 3 cloves garlic -grated (large)
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast (or to taste)
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 1 lemon -juiced (aprox. 3 tbsp)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp capers (optional)
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 7 cups romaine lettuce
- Whisk together the tahini with the mustard, garlic, tamari, lemon juice and nutritional yeast until smooth. Start pouring in the water and continue whisking until the dressing is thinned out to your liking.
- Add the red chili and capers, taste and adjust seasonings with sea salt If needed.
- Pour the Caesar dressing over the romaine leaves and toss to oat well. Serve promptly.
- You can easily double this recipe except the water. Use 1/2 cup water and add some more as needed after everything is combined.
- If doubling the recipe make sure to increase the garlic one clove at a time as it can easily overpower if not careful.
- The salad can be topped with some of this walnut vegan parmesan, or as you see in my photos some grated macademia nuts, it's crazy how much it resembled parmesan cheese.
- The tahini in the recipe can be replaced with cashew or walnuts butter.