What is bulgur wheat ?
It is a parboiled grain which makes it a very desirable whole food to keep in your pantry. All it needs is about 20 minutes of soaking and it is ready to be enjoyed in any dish you want. It can also be used in pilafs instead of rice, soups, stews and even baking.
Let’s Make this Healthy Bulgur Wheat Salad ASAP!
Needles to say you can really build on the basics of this recipe and make it your own. Add some chopped cucumbers, pomegranate seeds, cranberries, pine nuts or walnuts. Depending on the season you can replace the tomatoes with nectarines or mandarin slices. Swap the lemon juice with an orange dressing, just let nature’s bounty guide your inner chef here 😉
So we got ourselves a super tasty detox salad my friends, perfect for long hot summer days like today and wonderful to pack in wholesome lunches to go.
Healthy Bulgur Wheat Salad - Tabouli
- 1/2 cup bulgur wheat
- 1 bunch Italian parsley -flat leaf, finely chopped
- 1 cup heirloom tomatoes -diced
- 4 scallions -chopped
- 1 lemon -juiced
- 1/4 cup fresh mint -chopped (Optional)
- 1 pinch sea salt +more to taste
- 1 pinch freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Add the bulgur wheat grains to a small bowl and cover with water by a couple of inches. Allow it to soak for about 20 minutes or so then strain it through a fine mesh strainer.
- Meanwhile chop the parsley, tomatoes and scallions. Add the bulgur to a large salad bowl together with the rest of the ingredients. Season to taste with sea salt and black pepper. Toss to coat and mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate for two hours before serving.