Healthy Bulgur Wheat Salad Recipe ~ Tabouli
This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure policy.
What is bulgur wheat ?
It is a parboiled grain which makes it a very desirable whole food to keep in your pantry. All it needs is about 20 minutes of soaking and it is ready to be enjoyed in any dish you want. It can also be used in pilafs instead of rice, soups, stews and even baking.
Let’s Make this Healthy Bulgur Wheat Salad ASAP!
Needles to say you can really build on the basics of this recipe and make it your own. Add some chopped cucumbers, pomegranate seeds, cranberries, pine nuts or walnuts. Depending on the season you can replace the tomatoes with nectarines or mandarin slices. Swap the lemon juice with an orange dressing, just let nature’s bounty guide your inner chef here 😉
So we got ourselves a super tasty detox salad my friends, perfect for long hot summer days like today and wonderful to pack in wholesome lunches to go.
Healthy Bulgur Wheat Salad - Tabouli
- 1/2 cup bulgur wheat
- 1 bunch Italian parsley -flat leaf, finely chopped
- 1 cup heirloom tomatoes -diced
- 4 scallions -chopped
- 1 lemon -juiced
- 1/4 cup fresh mint -chopped (Optional)
- 1 pinch sea salt +more to taste
- 1 pinch freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Add the bulgur wheat grains to a small bowl and cover with water by a couple of inches. Allow it to soak for about 20 minutes or so then strain it through a fine mesh strainer.
- Meanwhile chop the parsley, tomatoes and scallions. Add the bulgur to a large salad bowl together with the rest of the ingredients. Season to taste with sea salt and black pepper. Toss to coat and mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate for two hours before serving.
Absolutely love this salad, I’ve never used bulgur before but you can bet it is now a staple in our home. Brava! So good!
Bulgar did not soften when soaked in water so I switched for boiling water. Did I miss something?! Maybe my bulgar was old —?? Here’s hoping it turns out — looks great!
It could be that it was old but also keep in mind that being a whole grain it will have an al dente texture. If you prefer it very soft then it’s best to boil it. Enjoy!