Vegan Cashew Ricotta Cheese Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure policy.
Best tasting vegan cashew ricotta cheese recipe made with raw cashews, lemon and garlic. Extra thick and creamy, luscious, only 5 ingredients and perfect for lasagna, pizza or to spoon over a thick piece of bruschetta!
Looking for a dairy-free substitute for Italian ricotta cheese ?
You are in the perfect place friends!
Soft, creamy and silky, this luscious homemade vegan ricotta cheese is the real deal.
At this point in my life I’m totally convinced that cashews are pure magic and there’s nothing they can’t do. They are my heroes!
So delicious, use it in everything:
- fan favorite spinach lasagna
- stuffed shells, manicotti + ravioli
- ultimate vegan white pizza
- mix with tomato sauce for a new creamy sauce
- on a vegan cheese platter
- in a sandwich
- on bruschetta topped with olives + roasted tomatoes.
- drizzled with pesto + balsamic reduction
- as a dip with olive oil, fresh herbs + lemon zest <— seriously delish!
It’s Quick + Easy to Make
Soy, Gluten & Dairy Free
Super Creamy & Fluffy
Homemade ~ Fatta in Casa.
How To Make Vegan Ricotta:
- If you don’t have a Vitamix or another powerful blender make sure to start with a quick soak of the cashews (20 minutes) in hot water.
- Transfer the cashews with the lemon, water, garlic and all the spices to the blender (or food processor) and puree until extra creamy and fluffy. Season to taste with sea salt and use it anywhere you’d like to use ricotta cheese. Store in the refrigerator up to 5 days or freeze in freezer proof containers for 3 months.
- For sweet desserts you’ll omit the garlic and savory spices of course and sweeten to taste with maple syrup or powdered sugar.
P.S. For more vegan cheese inspiration check out my creamy Alfredo Sauce, Mac and Cheese, Vegan Mozzarella and this must have in the pantry at all times Walnut Parmesan.
Vegan Cashew Ricotta Cheese
The best tasting vegan cashew ricotta cheese recipe made with raw cashews, lemon and garlic. Extra creamy and luscious, only 5 ingredients and perfect for lasagna or to spoon over a thick piece of bruschetta!Print Recipe
- 2 cups raw cashews
- 3/4 cups filtered water
- 1 lemon -juiced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Cover the cashews with hot water and soak for 20 minutes. Drain and rinse and transfer them to a powerful blender or food processor. (If using a Vitamix or another extra powerful blender you can skip the soaking )
- Blend the cashews together with the water, lemon juice, garlic and sea salt until smooth and creamy.
- Transfer the ricotta to a bowl, cover and refrigerate for a couple of hours until chilled and thick or serve right away. You can spoon over bruschetta or use in lasagna and for other pasta dishes. Keeps well in the fridge for about five days.
WFPB + Plantricious
- for a Dessert Style Ricotta to use in cannoli and other sweets, just omit the garlic, onion and sea salt and sweeten to taste with maple syrup or powder sugar instead. I used it to make these little pumpkin cheesecakes over the holidays and they were a total hit.
- to make Cashew Cream for savory uses, follow the same recipe and stretch it out a bit with more lemon juice or water until desired consistency and tangyness is achieved.
- if planning to serve this on a Cheese Board i suggest lining a sieve with cheese cloth, transfer the ricotta, tie the pouch and place to drain over a bowl in the refrigerator for a couple of hours or overnight. This will yield a dryer but still super creamy vegan ricotta you can serve sprinkled with fresh basil, thyme, chives, some lemon zest + a drizzle of evoo. It's lovely spooned over crostini or just served with crackers.
- cashew ricotta can be Stored in the refrigerator up to 5 days or frozen in freezer proof containers up to 4 months.
Calories: 244kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 201mg | Potassium: 308mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin C: 10.1mg | Calcium: 22mg | Iron: 3mg
Servings: 6 people
I’m one of those who had to make it to believe it. Exceptional texture and flavor, ended up making a lasagna with it and it was to die for. Nobody even had any idea I made this cheese from cashews. Officially impressed!