Looking for a dairy-free substitute for ricotta cheese ?
How To Make It:
You’ll start with a quick soak of the cashews (20 minutes) in hot water that you then puree together with lemon, water and garlic until extra creamy and fluffy. Season to taste with sea salt and use it anywhere you’d like to use ricotta cheese. For sweet desserts you’ll omit the garlic of course and sweeten to taste.
P.S. If you give this recipe a try please come back here to rate it, snap a photo and tag me with #VeggieSociety on Instagram.
Vegan Cashew Ricotta Cheese
- 2 cups raw cashews
- 3/4 cups filtered water
- 1 lemon -juiced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Cover the cashews with hot water and soak for 20 minutes. Drain and rinse and transfer them to a powerful blender. (The Vitamix is truly magical)
- Blend the cashews together with the water, lemon juice, garlic and sea salt until smooth and creamy.
- Transfer the ricotta to a bowl, cover and refrigerate for a couple of hours until chilled and thick or serve right away. You can spoon over bruschetta or use in lasagna and for other pasta dishes. Keeps well in the fridge for about five days.
- to make a dessert style ricotta to use in cannoli and other sweets, just omit the garlic and sea salt and sweeten to taste with maple syrup or powder sugar instead. I used it to make these little pumpkin cheesecakes over the holidays and they were a total hit.
- to make cashew cream use the same recipe and stretch it out a bit with more lime or lemon juice until desired consistency and tangyness is achieved.