Heat up that Pizza Stone, dust off your kitchen aid mixer or roll up your sleeves to put in a quick workout kneading this artisan pizza dough to perfection by hand. Brought to you straight from Italy, If you are after thin crust, authentic pizza pies like they make in Napoli – this is your lucky day!
Is Pizza Dough Vegan ?
Yes it is, as long as you don’t add any animal products into the mix and keep your toppings all plant based (including the cheeses) you are good to go!
How Do I Make Perfect Dough?
The hotter the stone, the crispier the pizza crust!
What we love about this Italian pizza dough:
FAQ: what is the best flour for making homemade vegan pizza dough?
A: Believe it or not, no fancy flour is required. An organic all-purpose flour is the best choice here and the one I use to make my crusty bread as well. If you happen to have bread flour sitting in your pantry by all means use it!
P.S. As always, If you make this recipe please come back here to rate it, snap a photo and tag us with #VeggieSociety on Instagram
watch how to make the best vegan pizza dough:
Best Vegan Pizza Dough Recipe
- 5 cups organic all-purpose flour (or bread flour) + more as needed
- 2.25 cups cold water (ice cold is best)
- 1.5 tsp active dry yeast
- 1.5 tsp sea salt
- Add the flour, yeast and salt to the large bowl of a mixer and combine well.
- Start adding in the cold water and keep mixing using the paddle attachment until everything is combined well.
- Switch to the dough hook and knead on medium - low speed for 10 minutes until a smooth dough has formed. It should stick a little to the bottom of the bowl but not the sides. Sprinkle a bit more flour if it seems too sticky. (Sometimes you will need more flour sometimes less, just learn to feel it as you go).
- Sprinkle some flour on a kitchen counter or cutting board and dump the dough on top. Use a sharp knife and cut it into 6 or 8 pieces.
- Lightly oil your hands with a drop of olive oil and shape each piece into round balls. Place them on a lightly oiled cookie sheet at least 4 inches apart from each other. Loosely cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise for 2 hours at room temperature. ( Alternatively you can individually wrap each one and refrigerate or freeze for later.)
- Meanwhile preheat a pizza stone with your oven for at least one hour at 500”F or as high as your oven will go.
- Sprinkle some flour on a board or the kitchen counter and place a piece of dough on top. Sprinkle some more flour on top and using the palm of your hand press down on it until a thin round forms, about 1/2 inch thick. Stretch it out as thin as possible without tearing it and transfer it to a floured pizza peel or a piece of cardboard.
- Spoon a couple of tablespoons of sauce in the middle and spread it evenly with the back of the spoon leaving about 1/2 inch border. Add your favorite vegan cheese on top and transfer the pie carefully to the preheated stone in the oven. ( Remember to also sprinkle some flour or cornmeal on top of the pizza stone before transferring your pizza).
- Bake for 5 to 8 minutes to your liking.
Pizza Dough By Hand:
- Mix the flour, salt and yeast in a large mixing bowl. Use a wooden spoon and stir in the flour until a dough forms. Add more flour If the dough still sticks to the sides, remember you want it to be a bit sticky on the bottom.
- Dump it onto a floured work surface and use the palm of your hand to knead it for a good 15 minutes or so until smooth and just a little sticky.
- Follow the above steps to bake accordingly.