Vegan Hasselback Potatoes Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure policy.
Tasty Vegan Hasselback Potatoes that are baked in the oven until crispy on top, then dressed with your favorite pesto, sauces and herbs. Gluten and dairy free!
What’s a Hasselback potato, how do you make it, where is it from ?
In a nutshell: Hasselback potatoes are sliced and fanned potatoes (golden or sweet) that are still connected at the base, baked till crispy then topped with your favorite goodies! For an extra crispy top make sure to let the broiler flames give them a few kisses before serving.
Turns out these easy potatoes are Swedish in origin, and the name simply got picked up from the restaurant they first were served in named “Hasselbacken”. TMI If you asked me but hey, somebody wanted to know.
Perfect as a side dish, appetizer or as the main attraction If you load them up with all kinds of goodies.
what to put on Vegan Hasselback Potatoes:
- vegan parmesan or gouda cheese
- sautéed mushrooms
- vegan bolognese sauce
- fresh chopped herbs: chives, thyme, basil, oregano, parsley.
- coconut yogurt + lemon zest
- sun dried tomato pesto
- plant based chorizo or smoky tempeh
- nutritional yeast
- chive pesto
- vegan queso
- vegan tzatziki
which potatoes to use?
I find that the golden and sweet potatoes are the best choices here as you won’t need to peel them. Just scrub and dry well before slicing, then lightly coat in some olive oil and roast away until perfect.
Note: If you want to stay 100% WFPB and oil-free just skip the olive oil and make sure to place the potatoes on a non-stick silicone mat, or line your baking dish with parchment paper to prevent sticking. However, I must tell you that every time i experimented without oil the potatoes turned out kind of dry so this is a recipe where I indulge myself a little bit of oil.
P.S. If you make this recipe please report back with a comment rating below, it always makes my day ~ Florentina Xo’s
How to Make Vegan Hasselback Potatoes
How to make vegan and healthy hasselback potatoes that are baked in the oven until crispy on top and soft in the center.Print Recipe
- 6 golden or sweet potatoes (or a mix of both)
- 2.5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch sea salt + more to taste
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes - to taste
- favorite toppings
- Preheat your oven to 425 “F
- Scrub, wash and dry the potatoes very well. Preferably do this step in advance.
- Using a sharp knife cut slices in the potatoes but without cutting all the through the bottom. Do this step with care. You want all those slices to still be connected at the bottom.
- Pour a drop of olive oil in your hand and gently rub each potato all over before placing on a parchment lined roasting dish or in a cast iron skillet for a crisp bottom. ( you can use a small brush for this step if you prefer)
- Sprinkle all over with salt and red pepper flakes.
- Bake the potatoes in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Quickly brush with a thin layer of olive oil and continue baking for another 30 minutes or so depending on the size of the potatoes.
- If you are looking for an extra crispy top make sure to transfer the potatoes under the broiler flames for a minute or so before serving.
- Serve hot topped with your favorite garnishes.
Calories: 150kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 6g | Sodium: 23mg | Potassium: 702mg | Fiber: 4g | Vitamin C: 19.4mg | Calcium: 51mg | Iron: 5.5mg
Servings: 6 potatoes
These were absolute killer and incredibly easy to make. I did a test run to see if I can pull it of on Thanksgiving and this one is a keeper. I’ll serve them with homemade harissa sauce. Delicious!
Where have I been hiding all my life ? Hasselback potatoes are clearly a thing and I’m finally on board. They turned out amazing topped with vegan butter and herbs.