Tasty Vegan Hasselback Potatoes that are baked in the oven until crispy on top, then dressed with your favorite pesto, sauces and herbs. Gluten and dairy free!
What’s a Hasselback potato, how do you make it, where is it from ?
what to put on Vegan Hasselback Potatoes:
- vegan parmesan or gouda cheese
- sautéed mushrooms
- vegan bolognese sauce
- fresh chopped herbs: chives, thyme, basil, oregano, parsley.
- coconut yogurt + lemon zest
- sun dried tomato pesto
- plant based chorizo or smoky tempeh
- nutritional yeast
- chive pesto
- vegan queso
- vegan tzatziki
which potatoes to use?
Note: If you want to stay 100% WFPB and oil-free just skip the olive oil and make sure to place the potatoes on a non-stick silicone mat, or line your baking dish with parchment paper to prevent sticking. However, I must tell you that every time i experimented without oil the potatoes turned out kind of dry so this is a recipe where I indulge myself a little bit of oil.
How to Make Vegan Hasselback Potatoes
- Preheat your oven to 425 “F
- Scrub, wash and dry the potatoes very well. Preferably do this step in advance.
- Using a sharp knife cut slices in the potatoes but without cutting all the through the bottom. Do this step with care. You want all those slices to still be connected at the bottom.
- Pour a drop of olive oil in your hand and gently rub each potato all over before placing on a parchment lined roasting dish or in a cast iron skillet for a crisp bottom. ( you can use a small brush for this step if you prefer)
- Sprinkle all over with salt and red pepper flakes.
- Bake the potatoes in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Quickly brush with a thin layer of olive oil and continue baking for another 30 minutes or so depending on the size of the potatoes.
- If you are looking for an extra crispy top make sure to transfer the potatoes under the broiler flames for a minute or so before serving.
- Serve hot topped with your favorite garnishes.