Homemade Dairy free Vegan Tzatziki Sauce recipe made with Greek style coconut yogurt (homemade or store bought), lots of garlic, cucumber, lemon and fresh dill. To die for deliciousness!
Tzatziki: a simple concept of throwing some ingredients together: grated cucumber, garlic, lemon, herbs, rich thick yogurt and voila, a magical condiment that can be used with countless dishes.
This Vegan Tzatziki Sauce is Everything:
How to Make Vegan Tzatziki Sauce Video:
Vegan Tzatziki Sauce
- 2 cups unsweetened Greek style coconut yogurt (Cocoyo is the Best)
- 1/2 English cucumber
- 6 cloves garlic (grated)
- 1/4 cup fresh dill (+ more to taste)
- 1 lemon (zested)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (or to taste)
- 1.5 tbsp lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil (optional, omit on WFPB diet)
Homemade Coconut Yogurt
- 15 oz can coconut milk (full fat)
- 2 capsules organic vegan probiotics
Make the Tzatziki
- Rinse the cucumber then shred it through a cheese grater. Transfer to a cheesecloth lined strainer and allow it to drain over a bowl. Use your hands and squeeze as much of the water out of it as possible.
- Add the Greek yogurt to a medium serving bowl and mix together with the olive oil, grated garlic, lemon juice, fresh dill and drained grated cucumber. Season to taste with sea salt. Serve chilled garnished with the lemon zest and some fresh dill.
How to Make Coconut Yogurt:
- Make sure to shake the can of coconut milk to ensure everything combines nice and smooth. Pour it into a glass container.
- Open the probiotic capsules and stir them well into the coconut milk. Cover the dish with a paper towel (or cheese cloth) and place on the kitchen counter (or in the pantry) for up to 48 hours. The longer you let it sit the tangier it will become so experiment and find out your sweet spot.