why we love these chickpea meatballs:
Vegan Chickpea Meatballs
- 1.25 lb mushrooms
- 2 x 15 oz cans chickpeas -drained
- 5-6 cloves garlic - grated
- 1/2 onion - diced
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1.5 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1.5 tbsp smoked paprika ( or to taste)
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley - chopped
- 1/4 cup chives - snipped
- 3 tbsp chickpea flour + more if needed
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup whole wheat bread crumbs ( you can use a gluten- free option )
Vegan Egg Substitute:
- 2.5 tbsp ground flax and chia mix
- 5 tbsp water
- Add a drizzle of olive oil to a large skillet and sauté the onion with a pinch of sea salt until translucent.
- Meanwhile add the mushrooms to a food processor and chop them up in small pieces. Add them to the pan with the onion and toss to coat well. Sauté together for a few minutes until wilted and most of the water has evaporated.
- Mix in the garlic and stir well. Add the oregano, garlic and onion powders, smoked paprika, parsley, chives and nutritional yeast. Mix well and remove from flame.
- Meanwhile add the chickpeas to the bowl of a food processor and chop until a rustic texture is achieved. You don’t want a purée just a nice chop throughout.
- Transfer the chopped chickpeas and the mushroom mixture to a large bowl with the chickpea flour and bread crumbs.
- Combine the ground flax chia mixture with the water and add it to the rest of the ingredients.
- Use a spatula and mix to combine well. Season to your taste with sea salt and black pepper.
- Wet your hand or use a drop of olive to coat them. Form meatballs the size of gold balls and place them on a large tray. At this point you can pan sear or bake them.
Stove Top Method:
- Heat up a cast iron skillet over medium high flame and add a drizzle of olive. Place a few meatballs on top a couple of inches apart. Cook until golden brown to your liking rolling them around in the pan to get all sides.
- Preheat your oven to 450”F
- Bake the meatballs for about 25 turning them over carefully half way.Meanwhile prepare your favorite pasta, warm up the sauce and serve with the meatballs on top.
$9.99/year. No ads.