what is mock tuna salad ?
Since ’tis the season to be jolly, I sprinkled mine with some red pomegranate seeds. You can get creative and mix in some cherry tomatoes in the summer, crispy tofu, smoked tempeh, walnuts, sunflowers seeds, almonds, everything bagel seasoning or even crumble up some nori on top for a traditional seafood flavor.
best chickpea “tuna” salad! It’s:
P.S. If you make this recipe please let us know in the comments below, snap a photo and tag it with #VeggieSociety on Instagram, it always makes my day ~ Florentina Xo’s
how to make vegan no tuna salad:
Vegan Tuna Salad with Chickpeas & Avocado
- 15 oz canned chickpeas
- 1 avocado - extra large
- 1 scallion - chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro - roughly chopped
- 1 lime - juiced
- 1/2 red chili pepper - chopped (to taste)
- 2 tbsp fresh onion chives - snipped
- 1 pinch sea salt - more or less to your taste
- 2 tbsp pomegranate seeds or cherry tomatoes - for garnish (optional)
- 2 tsp capers (optional)
- 1.5 tsp dulse / kelp flakes or seaweed (optional)
- Drain the chickpeas and reserve some of the water.
- In the bowl of a small food processor chop the chickpeas with a little bit of the reserved water if needed until a rustic texture is achieved. Keep in mind that you don’t want a smoothie, so use the pulse button when doing this. Alternatively you can use a potato masher or the back of a fork to achieve this texture.
- Transfer to a medium mixing bowl together with the scallions, lime juice, chili pepper and cilantro. Give it a good stir.
- Slice the avocado in half, discard the pit and carefully scoop the flesh out. Add it to the bowl with the chickpeas and season with the sea salt. Combine well. Taste and add more lime juice or sea salt to your taste. Stir in the capers and dulse flakes if using.
- Serve as a dip or make a faux tuna salad sandwich with your favorite whole-grain bread and fresh herbs.
- The dulse / kelp flakes are only necessary If you are after a deep oceany seafood like flavor.
- To keep the avocado from oxidizing and turning brown make sure to store any leftovers in lidded containers layered with thin slices of lime or lemon on top.