What is an heirloom carrot?
A variety of carrot that has been passed down from generation to generation and are grown from open-pollinated seeds that are at least 50 years old and rely on natural pollination by insects and the wind.
A riff on these favorite rosemary potatoes that are cooked together with whole garlic cloves and rosemary leaves until tender on the inside and crispy at the edges. By cooking the garlic whole and in its own paper you avoid burning it, but still take advantage of its beautiful aroma infused throughout the carrots.
These carrots are best served hot, straight out of the oven with our vegan turkey and a harissa sauce, chimichurri, orange marmalade, sun dried tomato pesto or a green carrot top pesto. However, they also reheat well if you must make them ahead. They make nice leftovers in these spaghetti squash noodle bowls or to top this creamy carrot soup.
The best roasted heirloom carrots!
- Easy to make
- Good for your eyes
- Plant based vegan
- Beautiful side dish for Thanksgiving
- Super tasty
These carrots pair well with other roasted vegetables like parsnips, sweet potatoes, beets, green beans, cauliflower wings, broccoli and crispy brussel sprouts. They are particularly nice alongside the ultimate Vegan Roast, best vegan chicken and a bed of fluffy olive oil mashed potatoes.
As always, if you try this recipe remember to come back here to rate it! Take a photo and tag it with #VeggieSociety on Instagram ~ Florentina Xo’s
Roasted Heirloom Carrots
- Preheat oven to 425”F
- Rinse and dry the carrots well with a kitchen towel.
- Add them to a tray with the garlic cloves and rosemary drizzle with a very light drip of olive oil. Sprinkle With the sea salt and toss well to combine and coat all over.
- Line your largest baking sheet with parchment paper and place the carrots and garlic on top, preferably without the carrots touching each other.
- Roasted for 20 minutes In the preheated oven, then carefully flip them. Cook another 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
- Transfer to a serving platter and slice in half lengthwise to show the beautiful colors. Garnish with fresh herbs and save!
- You can save the roasted garlic for later or serve alongside the carrots. It is really nice and creamy squeezed out of its paper onto crostini.