” A Vegan Chicken Pot Pie “
Using fat free meaty jackfruit instead of the fat and cholesterol loaded chicken flesh. Plus this recipe also features lots of nutritious filling veggies: carrot, celery, green peas and supernatural broccoli.
Feel free to get creative here and add your favorite things to the filling: diced potatoes, tofu, chickpeas, green beans, mushrooms and even dumplings or gnocchi will work great.
This right here is living proof that comfort foods don’t have to be unhealthy, as a matter of fact you can make this soup completely whole food plant based compliant not using a single drop of oil. Simply sautee your aromatics in some veggie broth or water and you are legit oil free.
Instead of jackfruit you could opt for soy curls, just remember to give them a good soak in hot water before adding them to the soup.
This recipe is for the creamy pot pie soup only. You can serve it as is with some crusty bread on the side or bake it in the oven into an actual pie covered with puff pastry, biscuits, mashed potatoes and even phyllo dough.
this vegan pot pie soup checks all the boxes:
- Lusciously creamy
- Thick & hearty
- Loaded with veggies
- Healthy & low fat
- Super easy to make
- Ready in less than 1 hour.
how to make vegan pot pie soup:
Vegan Pot Pie Soup
- 1/2 yellow onion diced ( or 1/2 leek)
- 2 carrots sliced into rounds
- 2 ribs celery chopped
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1.5 cup broccoli florets small
- 15 oz canned young jackfruit
- 2 leaves bay
- 10 sprigs fresh thyme
- 6 cups low sodium veggies tock or water warm
- 4 tbsp whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley or chives for garnish
Prepare the Miso Cashew Cream:
- Add the cashews, hot water, nutritional yeast and miso paste to a powerful blender. Allow to soak together while you work on the soup then puree until smooth and creamy.
Make the Soup:
- Drain and rinse the jackfruit. Add it to a small sauce pan together with a bay leaf and a pinch of sea salt then cover with water. Bring to a simmer and boil 15 minutes. Drain and cool then using a fork shred the jackfruit into smaller pieces discarding any seeds if found.
- Preheat a heavy bottom stock pot over medium flame and sautee the onion, carrot and celery in a splash of water (or a light drizzle of olive oil) until softened and they start to get some color. Take care not to burn them and add more liquid if needed. Omit the oil for WFPB and Plantricious diets.
- Add the bay leaf and thyme and stir in the white wine. Use a wooden spoon to scrape any brown bits from the bottom of the pot and continue cooking until almost all the wine has evaporated.
- Stir in the flour and add the warm vegetable stock. Turn up the heat to bring to a simmer while constantly stirring so everything combines well. Cook about 10 minutes until the soup begins to thicken.
- Add the broccoli florets (make sure they are cut into very small pieces) and simmer a few more minutes until cooked to your liking. Alternatively you can use precooked steamed broccoli and only warm through in the soup.
- Rinse the frozen green peas with some hot water before adding them to the soup together with the shredded jackfruit pieces. Only simmer a couple more minutes until the center of the peas is heated through.
- Stir in the cashew cream and let the soup simmer another minute or so until thick and bubbly.
- Taste and adjust seasoning with sea salt and black pepper. Discard the bay and thyme and serve hot garnished with fresh parsley or chives.
- The pot pie can be served with crusty bread, biscuits, vegan puff pastry and even some focaccia bread.