Roasted Sweet Potato Rounds Appetizer Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure policy.
The best roasted sweet potato rounds appetizer recipe loaded with vegan goat cheese, cranberries , balsamic glaze and a light drizzle of maple syrup topped with crunchy candied walnuts. They make really lovely appetizers or a perfect side dish to your Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners.
Sweet Potato Appetizers
This is a recipe I’ve been making for years you guys and I’m super excited to make it again this year as I’ve adapted it to be cruelty-free! Heck yeah! I even included a recipe for homemade vegan goat cheese for those of us who feel like getting into the spirit like a boss!
However, I know you also have a million plus things to handle this week so maybe making goat cheese from scratch isn’t really realistic…No worries, just pick some up at the grocery store in the vegan section next to all the other awesome cultured plant-based cheeses. If you prefer ricotta that works fabulous here too and might be easier to find. Just do it!
If you want to make a savory variety of these sweet potato rounds just follow the basic recipe below, top them with guacamole or slices of avocado instead (maybe some black beans) sprinkle with everything bagel seasonings and voila! Super delish, they’re gonna be a hit either way, I say make both!
Sweet Potatoes + Goat Cheese + Cranberries + Balsamic Glaze!
(Insert Hearts in the Eyes Emoji Here lol ).
High temperature gives the sweet potatoes some nice crispy caramelized edges so I roast mine at 500”F. If you don’t want to dirty up your nice pan you can line it with parchment paper. However, make sure to check the box and adjust the temperature accordingly. Mine is oven proof to only 450”F so I would need to cook the potatoes a few extra minutes on each side.
These Roasted Sweet Potato Rounds Are Everything!
Quick & Easy
Appetizers & Side Dish
Dairy & Cruelty-Free
Rich Source of Antioxidants
Good to Know: Sweet potatoes have been around since prehistoric times, they are a member of the morning glory family and not actually related to the potato. Who knew ?!
Roasted Sweet Potato Rounds Appetizer
The best roasted sweet potato rounds appetizers loaded with vegan goat cheese, cranberries , balsamic glaze and a light drizzle of maple syrup topped with crunchy candied walnuts. Perfect for your Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner.Print Recipe
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1/3 cup candied walnuts or pecans
- 1/3 cup orange cranberries -dried
- 2 tbsp balsamic glaze
- 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
- 3/4 tsp sea salt ( or to taste)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 tsp blood orange olive oil (for garnish)
- 2-3 tbsp maple syrup or coconut nectar
- zest from 1 lemon
- 5 oz vegan goat cheese (recipe include)
- 10 leaves fresh basil (tiny ones for garnish)
Vegan Goat Cheese
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup raw macadamia nuts
- 4 tbsp lemon juice -freshly squeezed
- 1 tbsp raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 probiotic capsule (the powder only)
- 1 tbsp chickpea miso (optional)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup filtered water
- Preheat your oven to 500”F. In a small bowl combine the plain olive oil, sea salt and paprika.
- Peel and cut the sweet potatoes into 1 inch thick rounds. Take each sweet potato round and coat it in the olive oil mixture. Place them on a large baking tray without touching each other.
- Bake the sweet potatoes for 8 to 10 minutes on each side until golden, flipping them half way through.
- Transfer to a serving tray and top with the vegan goat cheese, candied walnuts, and cranberries. Drizzle coconut nectar or maple syrup and sprinkle with the lemon zest.
- Just before serving finish with a light drizzle of orange infused olive oil, the balsamic glaze and garnish with the fresh basil leaves.
How to Make the Vegan Goat Cheese:
- Rinse and soak the cashews and macadamia nuts in hot water for 30 minutes or overnight.
- Drain the nuts and add them to a powerful blender together with the lemon juice, vinegar, sea salt, water, probiotic powder and miso. Process until smooth and creamy.
- Transfer to a glass container, cover with lid and store in a warm spot (your oven works well) overnight.
- At this point if you feel your goat cheese is too creamy just place it in some cheesecloth and allow it to drain in the refrigerator for a few hours or overnight. Use a fork to crumble it to your liking.
If using parchment paper to line your roasting tray make sure to check the maxim temperature specified on the box, usually 450”F. In this case you just add a few minutes to the cooking time, about 12 minutes per side.
Calories: 570kcal | Carbohydrates: 49g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 39g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Sodium: 970mg | Potassium: 540mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 22g | Vitamin A: 9410IU | Vitamin C: 7.6mg | Calcium: 62mg | Iron: 3.6mg
Servings: 4 people
Boy,,you have tons of stuff in this recipe ,,, and these 570 cal. each,,,lol,,,no turkey dinner after these. Ever tried to brown them in cast iron pan a few mins, then transfer to oven,,,for the rest of the cooking,, coat with brown sugar and maple syrup/ going to try the goat cheese on top. Always enjoy all your adventures . Rating it at 4 haven’t tried it but sounds interesting
I’ve made them with brown sugar before and they were delicious but more of a dessert. If you leave out the vegan goat cheese these are actually super easy tp throw together, hope you give them a try sometime 🙂
Can I use the frozen sweet potato rounds I see in the supermarket?
I think you could but honestly I’ve never tried those so can’t say for sure. Let me know how it goes if you use them 🙂
These are AMAZING, that is all!