Tomato and smashed avocado bruschetta appetizer, a California spin on a favorite Italian classic recipe.
Like the best breakfast avocado toast you’ve ever had. Except the bread is grilled instead of toasted giving it that rustic smoky flavor throughout along with a soft interior and crispy exterior. The perfect texture to hold up to all the wonderful toppings of tomatoes and smoky tempeh bits.
As the Italians say: “ Bruschetta di Avocado e Pomodori, Mangia Bene! “
Quick, Easy, Healthy, Beyond Delicious!
Best part: 100% Vegan!
The perfect appetizers for your next party or garden brunch. Just remember you are working with avocados and they don’t keep very well, so only smash them just before serving. Also when making it for a crowd, it would be best to make miniature versions of this or “ Crostini ”, using bite size small slices of baguette.
Let’s Do This!
How to Make Italian Avocado Bruschetta Appetizers:
- Grill slices of crusty bread until nice grill marks form.
- Rub the bread with a clove of garlic to your liking.
- Traditionally lightly brush with olive oil & a pinch of salt.
- Top smashed avocado, tomatoes and basil, or your favorite toppings.
- Optional: finish with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar reduction.
Bruschetta “bru-ske-ta” is actually the grilled bread rubbed with garlic, the toppings are just pleasant filling additions but not necessary.
Avocado Bruschetta Appetizer
Tomato and smashed avocado bruschetta appetizer, a California spin on an Italian classic.Print Recipe
- 2 slices whole wheat crusty bread
- 1 large avocado
- 1 clove garlic -large
- 1/2 cup heirloom cherry tomatoes -chopped
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lemon or lime
- 1/4 cup chives -chopped
- 2 strips smoked tempeh (plant-based bacon) -chopped
- 1 tbsp green or purple basil with blossoms for garnish (optional)
- 2 tsp hemp seeds
- 1 pinch sea salt +more to taste
- Preheat a cast iron plate for griddle over medium high flame. Grill the bread on each side until charred.
- Rub one side of each slice of the grilled bread with the garlic clove to your liking, the brush lightly with olive oil. Season with a pinch of sea salt.
- Slice the avocado, discard the pit and scoop the flesh into a bowl. Squeeze some of the lemon juice on top, add a pinch of sea salt and lightly smash it with the back of a spoon or fork.
- Scoop the avocado on top of the bruschetta and sprinkle with the sliced tomatoes.
- Meanwhile pan sear the tempeh in the same cast iron skillet until golden brown and crispy to your liking. (You might want to add a light drizzle of olive oil to help it along).
- Sprinkle the tempeh on top of the bruschetta together with the hemp seeds.Garnish with the basil and fresh chives and serve promptly.
Calories: 319kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 141mg | Potassium: 682mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 770IU | Vitamin C: 32.8mg | Calcium: 56mg | Iron: 2.2mg
Servings: 2 people