There aren’t many things more comforting than potatoes and mushrooms!
Combine them with earthy wild chanterelles and wowza, you’ve got some magic going on.
Vegan Potatoes and Mushrooms
- 2 lb golden potatoes -scrubbed well and cut into wedges
- 1 lb wild mushrooms -cleaned well (or your favorite variety)
- 1 bunch sage -leaves only
- 1 bunch thyme
- 2 leaves bay
- 1 large yellow onion -sliced
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pinch sea salt +as needed to your taste
- Add a drizzle of olive oil or a splash of water to a large skillet over medium flame. Add the sliced onion with a pinch of sea salt and saute until caramelized, about 45 minutes. Keep a close eye on them and stir often so they won’t burn. You can help them along with an extra splash of water and a drizzle of maple syrup or agave.
- Add the mushroom to the pan with the caramelized onions and saute together a few more minutes until the mushrooms have wilted. Taste and adjust seasonings with sea salt. Set aside and keep warm.
- Meanwhile cook the potatoes cut into wedges and covered by 2 inches of water. Bring to a boil and generously season the water with sea salt (It should taste like sea water). Add the bay and thyme sprigs but reserve about one tablespoon of the thyme leaves for garnish.
- Once the potatoes are al dente drain them in a colander and allow to dry for a few minutes in their own steam.
- Meanwhile heat up a small skillet over medium flame. Add a drizzle of olive oil and fry the sage leaves until crispy making sure not to burn them. Transfer them to a paper towel lined plate to drain any excess oil.
- Transfer the cooked potatoes to a large salad bowl and top with the sautéed mushroom and onions. Gently toss to combine well adding more olive oil and sea salt If needed.
- Sprinkle with the crispy sage leaves and reserved thyme and serve warm as a main course or side dish.