This vegan sausage gravy is the perfect meatless and dairy free Thanksgiving sauce to serve over homemade biscuits or fluffy mashed potatoes. Beyond delicious, the best quick and easy recipe!
Vegan Sausage Gravy
Make your gravy and biscuits dreams come true this Thanksgiving and Christmas season with the creamiest most delicious vegan country gravy from scratch. Only 5 ingredients, easy to make, it’s dairy free, gluten free and no cholesterol.
Enjoy it for breakfast any day of the week, why wait until the holidays anyway?! It’s incredibly delicious drizzled over potato pancakes, scrambled tofu or this vegan frittata. Can also be made ahead and reheated on the stovetop before serving, just add a little splash of veggie stock to loosen it up.
About the Ingredients
- The Vegan Sausage – I used spicy Italian Beyond Sausage because I truly love it in this recipe and in our most favorite soup: this Zuppa Toscana. The Beyond breakfast patties are also delicious and can be used instead, the Lightlife sausage or your favorite plant based brand. Use something you know you love (even smoky tempeh bits).
- Milk – Our homemade cashew milk has the perfect flavor and fat content to yield the creamiest gravy. If you don’t want to make your own just use a store bought plain unsweetened plant based milk of your choosing, like oat milk or almond milk.
- Aromatics – Onion + garlic are the usual suspects here, as no exquisite sauce has ever been made without one or the other. That’s not to say that leeks or shallots sauteed until they start to caramelize around the edges won’t deliver magic, so feel free to use them instead if your heart so desires.
- Herbs – Fresh thyme or sage leaves both bring a festive holiday flavor to the dish. Choose a favorite or combine the two, just don’t overdo it.
- Wine – Use a dry white wine to deglaze the pan and help scrape up all those flavorful brown bits. It also adds a nice depth of flavor to the gravy but can certainly be replaced with a splash of veggie broth if desired.
- Vegan mashed potatoes
- Homemade biscuits + Holiday roast
- Vegan stuffing
- Creamed spinach
- Roasted potatoes and green beans
- Thanksgiving wild rice pilaf + Vegan Turkey.
How To Make Vegan Sausage Gravy
- Brown the sausage in a little bit of olive oil, transfer to a bowl and reserve.
- Sautee the onion in the sausage drippings until softened. Stir in the garlic and herbs. Deglaze with the white wine or veggie broth and scrape all the brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Pour in the cashew milk and simmer away for a few minutes until thickened.
- Add the browned sausage pieces back into the gravy, adjust seasonings and serve.
Vegan Sausage Gravy
- Cut the sausages in 4 pieces lengthwise then dice up into small cubes.
- Preheat a heavy bottom skillet over medium heat with a drizzle of olive oil. Add the Italian sausage and pan sear until it starts to brown around the edges. Transfer to a bowl and keep warm.2 links vegan Italian Sausage
- In the same pan you cooked the sausage add the onion. Toss to coat well in all the sausage drippings scraping up the brown bits from the bottom. Add a little more olive oil if needed.1/2 onion
- Once the onion is softened and begins to get some color add the thyme and garlic and give everything a quick stir until you can smell the garlic.1 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves or sage, 2 cloves garlic
- Pour in the white wine to deglaze the pan, using a spatula to scrape up all the little brown bits from the bottom. Simmer away until all the wine has evaporated.1/3 cup dry white wine
- Stir in the cashew milk and bring to a simmer. Cook the gravy for a few minutes until thickened to your liking. (To thin it out just add a splash of veggie stock or water).3 cups cashew milk
- Add the reserved browned sausage pieces back into the gravy and combine. Remember to save a few pieces for garnish if desired.2 links vegan Italian Sausage
- Adjust seasonings to taste with salt and pepper and serve with mashed potatoes, biscuits or dinner rolls..
- To thicken the gravy simmer down to your liking. To thin it out add in a splash or two of veggie stock and stir well to combine.
- Vegan Sausage - I used the spicy Italian Beyond Sausage because I truly love it here. Their breakfast patties are also delicious and can be used instead, so is the Lightlife brand or your favorite plant based sausage.