Tips for How to Make the Best Vegan Creamed Spinach
- Sautee a bunch of fresh baby spinach with just a tiny pinch of sea salt until wilted then drain well in a colander.
- Make a creamy pan sauce out of cashew milk seasoned well with nutritional yeast, flavorful onion and garlic powders. Alternatively you could saute 1/2 fresh diced onion and 3 cloves of minced garlic before adding the spinach, however I find this method to be more time consuming and the flavor the same. So I choose the easy way 😉
- Fold the wilted spinach into the silky cream sauce and simmer until warm through.
- To take it over the top you could use the wild mushroom cream sauce from this famous Thanksgiving green bean casserole and just fold in the wilted spinach. <— Absolutely out of this world!
what goes well with creamed spinach ?
- olive oil mashed potatoes
- green bean casserole
- Thanksgiving wild rice
- rosemary potatoes
- vegan ribs
- tofu scramble
- crusty bread
- vegan steak + vegan chicken
- stuffed shells
- mushroom pot pie
- & Thanksgiving roast + stuffing
- mashed potato pancakes.
how long does creamed spinach last in the fridge ?
can I use frozen spinach in this recipe ?
Healthy Vegan Creamed Spinach
- Preheat your largest skillet over medium low heat. Add about a tablespoon of water or a light drizzle of olive oil and saute the spinach with a pinch of sea salt until wilted. Toss often and as soon as the spinach releases its water transfer to a colander to drain well.
- Meanwhile in a medium sauce pan whisk together the cashew milk, flour, nutritional yeast, onion and garlic powders until combined. Season with the sea salt and bring to a simmer whisking continuously until thick and creamy, approximately 5 minutes or so.
- Remove the cream sauce from heat and gently fold in the sautéed spinach. Taste and adjust seasonings with more sea salt. Add a little pinch of freshly grated nutmeg to taste (you can totally skip this step but believe or not, nutmeg and spinach have a thing going on, use it).
- WFPB & Plantricious To make this recipe compliant make sure to use whole wheat pastry flour (not all purpose) and sautee in water or veggie stock instead of oil.
- The fresh spinach can be replaced with 1/2 lb of frozen spinach, thawed out and squeezed very well.
- To keep this recipe WFPB & Plantricious compliant make sure to use whole wheat pastry flour (not all purpose) and sautee in water or veggie stock instead of oil.
You’ll Also Love
$9.99/year. No ads.