The best healthy vegan creamed spinach recipe ready in a few minutes but delivers in flavor like a boss. It definitely has to show up on your Thanksgiving and Christmas table.
Quickly sautéed baby spinach is mixed with a dreamy creamy sauce made with a rich, dairy free cashew milk for a comforting but healthy classic holiday side dish. Super quick and easy to make, i made this without any oil, completely whole foods plant based and Plantricious compliant.
Tips for How to Make the Best Vegan Creamed Spinach
- Sautee a bunch of fresh baby spinach with just a tiny pinch of sea salt until wilted then drain well in a colander.
- Make a creamy pan sauce out of cashew milk seasoned well with nutritional yeast, flavorful onion and garlic powders. Alternatively you could saute 1/2 fresh diced onion and 3 cloves of minced garlic before adding the spinach, however I find this method to be more time consuming and the flavor the same. So I choose the easy way 😉
- Fold the wilted spinach into the silky cream sauce and simmer until warm through.
- To take it over the top you could use the wild mushroom cream sauce from this famous Thanksgiving green bean casserole and just fold in the wilted spinach. <— Absolutely out of this world!
what goes well with creamed spinach ?
- olive oil mashed potatoes
- Thanksgiving wild rice
- rosemary potatoes
- vegan ribs + butternut squash mac and cheese
- tofu scramble
- crusty bread
- vegan steak + vegan chicken
- stuffed shells
- mushroom pot pie
- & Thanksgiving roast + stuffing
- mashed potato pancakes
- Vegan Wellington.
how long does creamed spinach last in the fridge ?
If you truly happen to have any leftovers you can store them in the refrigerator up to 5 days. It can be reheated over medium low heat until bubbly and hot.
can I use frozen spinach in this recipe ?
You can definitely take a shortcut here and use 1/2 pound of frozen spinach instead of fresh. Make sure to thaw it out completely and squeeze out as much of the water as possible before adding it to the cream sauce. If you feel adventurous you could even make it with half chopped kale and half spinach.
Healthy Vegan Creamed Spinach
The best healthy vegan creamed spinach recipe ready in a few minutes but delivers in flavor like a boss. It definitely has to show up on your Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner table.Print Recipe
- Preheat your largest skillet over medium low heat. Add about a tablespoon of water or a light drizzle of olive oil and saute the spinach with a pinch of sea salt until wilted. Toss often and as soon as the spinach releases its water transfer to a colander to drain well.
- Meanwhile in a medium sauce pan whisk together the cashew milk, flour, nutritional yeast, onion and garlic powders until combined. Season with the sea salt and bring to a simmer whisking continuously until thick and creamy, approximately 5 minutes or so.
- Remove the cream sauce from heat and gently fold in the sautéed spinach. Taste and adjust seasonings with more sea salt. Add a little pinch of freshly grated nutmeg to taste (you can totally skip this step but believe or not, nutmeg and spinach have a thing going on, use it).
- WFPB & Plantricious To make this recipe compliant make sure to use whole wheat pastry flour (not all purpose) and sautee in water or veggie stock instead of oil.
- The fresh spinach can be replaced with 1/2 lb of frozen spinach, thawed out and squeezed very well.
- To keep this recipe WFPB & Plantricious compliant make sure to use whole wheat pastry flour (not all purpose) and sautee in water or veggie stock instead of oil.
Calories: 66kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 171mg | Potassium: 698mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 10633IU | Vitamin C: 32mg | Calcium: 118mg | Iron: 3mg
Servings: 4 people
You’ll Also Love