The best, no knead vegan bread recipe ever!
Am I right, or am I right ..?!
this vegan bread recipe is:
The Secret to Making Crusty Bread:
- a preheated pizza stone
- a blasting hot oven
- a tray of water to create steam <—crucial!
- allow the loaf to cool in the oven.
note: If you don’t have a pizza stone you can still bake the bread inside a cast iron skillet or a dutch oven with the lid on instead.
FAQ: Is Bread Vegan or Not ?
Yes it is, as long as you don’t add any animal products into the mix!
How to Store It:
If you happen to not eat this loaf in the same day just store it on the kitchen counter in a reusable plastic bag for a couple of days.
What Do Do with Stale Bread ?
So you forgot you made crusty bread and you have a stale loaf now ? No problem! It’s a sign from the universe that you must hurry and make a big pot of this Italian Bread Soup (pappa al pomodoro) right away.
What to Serve With
P.S. As always, If you make this recipe remember to come back and rate it, take a photo and tag us with #VeggieSociety on Instagram.
How to Make Crusty Vegan Bread:
Easy Crusty Vegan Bread
- 3.25 cups all purpose flour + more for sprinkling (organic non-gmo)
- 1.5 cups warm water
- 2 tsp instant dry yeast
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Add the all purpose flour, yeast and sea salt to a large mixing bowl or your kitchen aid mixer. Mix in the water and stir well until incorporated. Cover the bowl loosely with a kitchen towel or plastic wrap and let it rest at room temperature for 2 to 3 hours. ( you may leave it overnight as well but it is not necessary )
- After about 2 hours check the dough and you should notice the surface dotted with bubbles. Turn the dough onto a floured surface and sprinkle it with a little flour. Shape it into a round loaf by folding it over on itself a few times. NO KNEADING Allowed!
- Meanwhile preheat your oven to 450"F with a pizza stone inside. I If you don't have a pizza stone preheat a cast iron dutch oven with the lid on instead). Place a baking dish with a couple of inches of water in it on the bottom rack to help create steam inside the oven for a crispy crust.
- Sprinkle a pizza peel or a cardboard box with some flour and place the bread loaf on top. Allow it to rest for 45 minutes while the oven warms up. Using a serrated knife make a few slits on top of the loaf.
- Sprinkle the pizza stone with a little bit of the semolina flour then gently slide the bread dough onto it just like you would do with a pizza. Cook for about 30 minutes until golden brown. Transfer to a cooling rack and allow to cool down before slicing. For an even crispier crust allow to bread to cool inside of the oven with the door slightly open.