The best, no knead vegan bread recipe ever!
Am I right, or am I right ..?!
this vegan bread recipe is:
The Secret to Making Crusty Bread:
- a preheated pizza stone
- a blasting hot oven
- a tray of water to create steam <—crucial!
- allow the loaf to cool in the oven.
note: If you don’t have a pizza stone you can still bake the bread inside a cast iron skillet or a dutch oven with the lid on instead.
FAQ: Is Bread Vegan or Not ?
Yes it is, as long as you don’t add any animal products into the mix!
How to Store It:
If you happen to not eat this loaf in the same day just store it on the kitchen counter in a reusable plastic bag for a couple of days.
What Do Do with Stale Bread ?
So you forgot you made crusty bread and you have a stale loaf now ? No problem! It’s a sign from the universe that you must hurry and make a big pot of this Italian Bread Soup (pappa al pomodoro) right away.
P.S. As always, If you make this recipe remember to come back and rate it, take a photo and tag us with #VeggieSociety on Instagram.
How to Make Crusty Vegan Bread:
Easy Crusty Vegan Bread
- 3.25 cups all purpose flour + more for sprinkling (organic non-gmo)
- 1.5 cups warm water
- 2 tsp instant dry yeast
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Add the all purpose flour, yeast and sea salt to a large mixing bowl or your kitchen aid mixer. Mix in the water and stir well until incorporated. Cover the bowl loosely with a kitchen towel or plastic wrap and let it rest at room temperature for 2 to 3 hours. ( you may leave it overnight as well but it is not necessary )
- After about 2 hours check the dough and you should notice the surface dotted with bubbles. Turn the dough onto a floured surface and sprinkle it with a little flour. Shape it into a round loaf by folding it over on itself a few times. NO KNEADING Allowed!
- Meanwhile preheat your oven to 450"F with a pizza stone inside. I If you don't have a pizza stone preheat a cast iron dutch oven with the lid on instead). Place a baking dish with a couple of inches of water in it on the bottom rack to help create steam inside the oven for a crispy crust.
- Sprinkle a pizza peel or a cardboard box with some flour and place the bread loaf on top. Allow it to rest for 45 minutes while the oven warms up. Using a serrated knife make a few slits on top of the loaf.
- Sprinkle the pizza stone with a little bit of the semolina flour then gently slide the bread dough onto it just like you would do with a pizza. Cook for about 30 minutes until golden brown. Transfer to a cooling rack and allow to cool down before slicing. For an even crispier crust allow to bread to cool inside of the oven with the door slightly open.