My 2 loves: Soup and Potatoes! Forever and Ever!
There are many different ways to make this potato soup and keep it healthy. Take this classic version with its rustic core and make it your own.
This Vegan Potato Soup Recipe Is:
Healthy Vegan Potato Soup Recipe
- 1 leek - medium size
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 2 lb red or gold potatoes - rinsed & quartered
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes (canned)
- 1 cup green peas - frozen
- 2 leaves bay
- 1 bunch Italian parsley
- 1 sprig sage
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1/2 bunch fresh thyme
- 1 bell pepper - diced
- 1 red chili pepper - sliced (optional)
- 1 large carrot - diced
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp ground flax + chia mix
- 3 qt water or vegetable stock
- 2 tsp olive oil or a splash of water
- 1 pinch sea salt to your taste
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast OPTIONAL
- Rinse and slice the leeks into thin slices.
- Heat up a large soup pot over medium low flame. Add the cleaned leeks, a pinch of sea salt and drizzle of olive oil or a splash of water for a WFPB healthier option. Toss to coat well and cook for about 10 minutes until the leeks have wilted.
- Add the garlic, carrots, thyme, oregano, peppercorns, bay leaves and parsley stalks (reserve leafy tops) together with the paprika and toss to coat.
- Stir in the tomatoes, bell pepper and potatoes. Cover with the water by a couple of inches or low sodium veggie stock and bring to a simmer. Season with a good pinch of sea salt and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes or so.
- Remove from heat and stir in the green peas together with the flax, chia and nutritional yeast. ( This is optional but it helps thicken up the soup / stew nicely and ads some good nutrition too). Cover with a lid and allow the stew to sit for 10 minutes to thicken up before serving. This will also give the peas time to thaw into the hot broth.
- Serve with fresh watercress or micro greens and extra red chili slices on top.