Vegetarian Potato Soup Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure policy.
The best chunky and spicy pure vegetarian potato soup recipe made with healthy leeks, green peas and vegetables. Everything cooks together in one pot before the Italian parsley does its magic by bringing the hearty and fresh flavors together at the very end.
Vegetarian Potato Soup!
What you see here is a rustic soup I first made up before I could even read or write. It was a long time ago when my grandpa helped me build a mini green house in the garden so i could grow my own stuff.
Long story short, yours truly planted some lettuce and before you know it the leaves were busting up my little green house. I’ve been wanting to grow and cook things ever since.
My first attempt at this healthy vegan potato soup was quite spicy! So much so that I could not eat it myself but grandpa absolutely crushed it. Fast forward in time, I now must have it spicy with extra slices of hot red chili pepper on top.
This hearty pot of soup has evolved a bit over the years. I now make it mostly oil-free and thicken it up with a dash of milled flax and chia seed mix. I’ll also add baby spinach or chopped up dandelion greens, sprouts and watercress, Italian cannellini beans, it all really depends on what is having a moment.
I prefer it as chunky and rustic as it gets. Don’t worry about presentation, go with irregular shapes and mixed colors of vegetables. Draw outside the lines. Add some sautéed wild mushrooms if you like and a splash of cashew milk to get it creamy if your heart so desires.
Should I peel the potatoes for soup ?
I love using Yugon gold or red potatoes in this recipe and all they need is a good scrub and rinse. In my opinion those are the best potato varieties for soup. There is zero need to peel them plus they hold their shape together nicely, just perfect for chunky rustic textures. Russet potatoes would require peeling and they also fall apart quickly so not recommended here but they could work in a creamy blender soup.
You’ll Love this Vegan Potato Soup! It’s:
Quick & easy
Hearty, healthy & good for you
Low-fat but filling
Gluten & Dairy-Free.
Popular Vegan Soups to Try:
As always, If you make this recipe please come back here to rate it, snap a photo and tag us with #VeggieSociety on Instagram. ~ Florentina Xo’s
how to make a chunky vegetarian potato soup
Vegetarian Potato Soup
Healthy, dairy free, chunky, the best vegetarian potato soup recipe with leeks, green peas and vegetables.Print Recipe
- 1 leek - medium size
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 2 lb red or gold potatoes - rinsed & quartered
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes (canned)
- 1 cup green peas - frozen
- 2 leaves bay
- 1 bunch Italian parsley
- 1 sprig sage
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1/2 bunch fresh thyme
- 1 bell pepper - diced
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1 red hot chili pepper - sliced (optional)
- 1 large carrot - diced
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp ground flax + chia mix
- 3 qt water or vegetable stock
- 2 tsp olive oil or a splash of water
- 1 pinch sea salt to your taste
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast OPTIONAL
- Rinse and slice the leeks into thin slices.
- Heat up a large soup pot over medium low flame. Add the cleaned leeks, a pinch of sea salt and drizzle of olive oil (or a splash of water for a WFPB compliance). Toss to coat well and cook for about 10 minutes until the leeks have wilted.
- Add the red pepper flakes, garlic, carrots, thyme, oregano, peppercorns, bay leaves and parsley stalks (reserve leafy tops) together with the paprika and toss to coat.
- Stir in the tomatoes, bell pepper and potatoes. Cover with the water by a couple of inches or low sodium veggie stock and bring to a simmer. Season with a good pinch of sea salt and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes or so.
- Remove from heat and stir in the green peas together with the flax, chia and nutritional yeast. ( This is optional but it helps thicken up the soup / stew nicely and ads some good nutrition too). Cover with a lid and allow the stew to sit for 10 minutes to thicken up before serving. This will also give the peas time to thaw into the hot broth.
- Serve with fresh watercress or micro greens +hot red chili slices on top for extra spiciness .
- Note that I used the words " Soup and Stew " interchangeably in this recipe for the obvious reason. It can be whatever you want it to be! Use less liquid and you got yourself a Stew, use more liquid and you have a Soup 😉
- Toppings: fresh herbs, scallions, vegan bacon, crispy smoky tempeh, micro-greens, hot chili peppers.
Calories: 154kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 1g | Sodium: 56mg | Potassium: 912mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 2380IU | Vitamin C: 68.6mg | Calcium: 108mg | Iron: 7mg
Servings: 6 people
Fantastic potato soup, I would have never believed it was vegan unless I made it myself. Tastes like it was simmered for hours and very hearty. A keeper!