Most days we’ll enjoy them sliced up and chilled straight out of the refrigerator. But I’ve been thinking what to do with this big jar of Forbidden black rice and a bag of farro I ordered in bulk a while back, and this recipe idea came to mind.
It’s Easy, Healthy, Hearty & Vegan!
Farro & Black Rice Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette
Blood Orange Citrus Vinaigrette:
- 1 tbsp blood orange olive oil
- 1/2 lemon -juiced
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- the reserved orange juice from cutting the oranges
- 1 pinch sea salt +more to taste
- Use a serrated knife to slice the ends off of each orange. Carefully cut the peel and the pith and discard. Hold the orange in your hand over a bowl and start slicing in between each membrane to cut clean slices while catching all the juices in the bowl underneath. Place the orange slices in a separate bowl and refrigerate until needed.
Make the Vinaigrette:
- Whisk together the reserved orange juices with the blood orange olive oil, lemon juice and maple syrup. Season to taste with sea salt.
Make the Salad:
- In a large mixing bowl toss the farro and black rice with the citrus vinaigrette until coated all over. Taste and adjust seasoning with more seas salt and lemon to your taste.
- Transfer to a serving plate and top with the sliced oranges and chopped chives. Serve with extra lemon or lime wedges.
- When cooking the farro and black rice simply follow the instructions on the package, cooking times might be slightly different from brand to brand.
- Feel free to adapt this salad with whatever whole grain you have on hand.