An Italian style wintery farro and black rice salad with citrus vinaigrette, blood oranges and chives.
My favorite thing about winter is the abundance of citrus, particularly blood oranges. Moro, Cara-Caras, they are everywhere this time of the year. Yours truly is in Love!
Most days we’ll enjoy them sliced up and chilled straight out of the refrigerator. But I’ve been thinking what to do with this big jar of Forbidden black rice and a bag of farro I ordered in bulk a while back, and this recipe idea came to mind.
The gist of it is that you cook plain black rice and farro to keep refrigerated to have on hand for the week, you know, to help make a meal of things. When dinner time rolls around all you need to do is slice up some oranges and even grapefruit while capturing all those juices to make a vinaigrette for your salad. Toss everything well to coat and top with chilled orange slices and lots of chives.
It’s Easy, Healthy, Hearty & Vegan!
P.S. Farro is the traditional grain of the Mediterranean, a hearty ancient whole grain with nutty flavor and chewy texture.
Note to self: do a riff on this black rice salad with mango, avocado & lime!
Farro & Black Rice Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette
An Italian style wintery black rice and farro salad with citrus vinaigrette, blood oranges and chives.Print Recipe
- Use a serrated knife to slice the ends off of each orange. Carefully cut the peel and the pith and discard. Hold the orange in your hand over a bowl and start slicing in between each membrane to cut clean slices while catching all the juices in the bowl underneath. Place the orange slices in a separate bowl and refrigerate until needed.
Make the Vinaigrette:
- Whisk together the reserved orange juices with the blood orange olive oil, lemon juice and maple syrup. Season to taste with sea salt.
Make the Salad:
- In a large mixing bowl toss the farro and black rice with the citrus vinaigrette until coated all over. Taste and adjust seasoning with more seas salt and lemon to your taste.
- Transfer to a serving plate and top with the sliced oranges and chopped chives. Serve with extra lemon or lime wedges.
- When cooking the farro and black rice simply follow the instructions on the package, cooking times might be slightly different from brand to brand.
- Feel free to adapt this salad with whatever whole grain you have on hand.
Calories: 928kcal | Carbohydrates: 195g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 30mg | Potassium: 688mg | Fiber: 25g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 213IU | Vitamin C: 21mg | Calcium: 86mg | Iron: 5mg
Servings: 4 people