Most days we’ll enjoy them sliced up and chilled straight out of the refrigerator. But I’ve been thinking what to do with this big jar of Forbidden black rice and a bag of farro I ordered in bulk a while back, and this recipe idea came to mind.
It’s Easy, Healthy, Hearty & Vegan!
Farro & Black Rice Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette
An Italian style wintery black rice and farro salad with citrus vinaigrette, blood oranges and chives.
Blood Orange Citrus Vinaigrette:
- 1 tbsp blood orange olive oil
- 1/2 lemon -juiced
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- the reserved orange juice from cutting the oranges
- 1 pinch sea salt +more to taste
Use a serrated knife to slice the ends off of each orange. Carefully cut the peel and the pith and discard. Hold the orange in your hand over a bowl and start slicing in between each membrane to cut clean slices while catching all the juices in the bowl underneath. Place the orange slices in a separate bowl and refrigerate until needed.
Make the Vinaigrette:
Whisk together the reserved orange juices with the blood orange olive oil, lemon juice and maple syrup. Season to taste with sea salt.
Make the Salad:
In a large mixing bowl toss the farro and black rice with the citrus vinaigrette until coated all over. Taste and adjust seasoning with more seas salt and lemon to your taste.
Transfer to a serving plate and top with the sliced oranges and chopped chives. Serve with extra lemon or lime wedges.
- When cooking the farro and black rice simply follow the instructions on the package, cooking times might be slightly different from brand to brand.
- Feel free to adapt this salad with whatever whole grain you have on hand.