Orange avocado salad with a creamy scallion and cilantro lime dressing. Vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free and good for you.
Let’s talk about how much we love avocados over here in California! They are a year-round staple for us, so anything from salads to guacamole to avocado toast and potato salad is a go any day of the week. We will never complain, that’s a fact!
It is also peak citrus season for us, oranges, mandarins, grapefruit, you can see them bring a happy pop of color all over the farmers markets.
So I combined my two loves: blood oranges and avocados!
Then I dressed them in a zesty cilantro lime Goddess dressing.
Finger licking good!
Technically I made a fruit salad you guys. Yes it’s true: avocado is a fruit.
Serve on its own sprinkled with pretty watercress, baby arugula or alongside bowls of brown rice, black beans and quinoa.
So easy: simply slice up the oranges and avocado then puree the dressing in your blender or food processor. Voila: 5 minute magic!
I’m partial to blood oranges but mandarins, pomelos, grapefruit and even sweet strawberries would work pretty nice here. Maybe even garnish with pomegranate seeds or dried cranberries. Get creative!
Yes, avocados are high in fat but it is monounsaturated fat, an omega-9 fat called oleic acid, the same kind find in many nuts. They also contain lutein, an antioxidant that helps your eyes and skin stay healthy. Avocados are a great source of fiber, potassium and folate.
Orange Avocado Salad with Cilantro Lime Dressing
Orange avocado salad with a creamy scallion and cilantro lime dressing. Vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free and good for you.Print Recipe
- 4 blood oranges - mixed variety
- 2 California Avocados
- 1 scallion - thinly sliced for garnish
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves - for garnish
- Make the dressing by pureeing the cilantro, olive oil, scallions and lime in the bowl of a food processor or blender until smooth. (Omit the olive oil on a WFPB diet). Season to taste with sea salt to your liking. It should be zesty and savory but not sour. Set aside.
- Use a serrated knife to peel the blood oranges or whatever citrus you are using. Cut a thin slice of the peel from the bottom and the top of each fruit. Securely place it on a cutting board and cut the peel off following the curve of the orange. Make sure to remove the white pith but not the flesh.
- Carefully slice the citrus crosswise into thin rounds and arrange them on a serving platter.
- Slice the avocados crosswise and remove the pit. Cut a thin slice off of the bottom of each half and carefully remove the skin. Slice the avocado into slices the same size as your oranges. Place them on the serving platter together with the oranges and drizzle with the cilantro dressing all over the top.
- Garnish with cilantro leaves and scallions just before serving.
To make this WFPB compliant replace the olive oil in the dressing with the juice from 1/2 lime or lemon.
Calories: 253kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 20mg | Potassium: 563mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 500IU | Vitamin C: 24.9mg | Calcium: 29mg | Iron: 0.8mg
Servings: 4 people