So I combined my two loves: blood oranges and avocados!
Orange Avocado Salad with Cilantro Lime Dressing
- 4 blood oranges - mixed variety
- 2 California Avocados
- 1 scallion - thinly sliced for garnish
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves - for garnish
Cilantro Lime Dressing:
- 1 bunch cilantro -leafy tops only
- 3 scallions (white and pale green parts only)
- 1 large lime -juiced
- 2.5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil + more to your liking
- 1 pinch sea salt + more to taste
- Make the dressing by pureeing the cilantro, olive oil, scallions and lime in the bowl of a food processor or blender until smooth. (Omit the olive oil on a WFPB diet). Season to taste with sea salt to your liking. It should be zesty and savory but not sour. Set aside.
- Use a serrated knife to peel the blood oranges or whatever citrus you are using. Cut a thin slice of the peel from the bottom and the top of each fruit. Securely place it on a cutting board and cut the peel off following the curve of the orange. Make sure to remove the white pith but not the flesh.
- Carefully slice the citrus crosswise into thin rounds and arrange them on a serving platter.
- Slice the avocados crosswise and remove the pit. Cut a thin slice off of the bottom of each half and carefully remove the skin. Slice the avocado into slices the same size as your oranges. Place them on the serving platter together with the oranges and drizzle with the cilantro dressing all over the top.
- Garnish with cilantro leaves and scallions just before serving.