Chowder: a hearty soup of French origin using corn as the main ingredient.
Easy Vegan Potato Corn Chowder
- 1 yellow onion or leek -chopped
- 1 carrot -diced
- 2 ribs celery -chopped
- 5 cup corn kernels (fresh or frozen, non-gmo, organic)
- 1 lb golden potatoes - rinsed well and cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 2 leaves bay
- 10 sprigs thyme + more for garnish
- 4-5 cups water or low-sodium veggie stock
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 tsp smoked paprika + more to your liking
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 pinch sea salt -to taste
- 1 drizzle extra virgin olive oil (or a splash of water for WFPB diet)
- 1 red bell pepper -diced for garnish
- 1/4 cup fresh chives and dill -roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeas (optional)
- Heat up a large soup pot over medium low flame. Add the onion, carrot and celery with a drizzle of olive oil ( or a splash of water for WFPB diet) and sautee for 5 minutes until softened. (If using frozen corn make sure to run some warm water over it to thaw it out at this point)
- Stir in the smoked paprika, turmeric, bay leaves, thyme and red pepper flakes. Add the diced potato and corn kernels and pour in the water or veggie stock. Bring to a simmer.
- Cook until the potatoes are soft, about 15 to 20 minutes. Discard the bay and thyme sprigs.
- Add the coconut milk and cook a few more minutes until warmed through. Turn off the flame, add the nutritional yeast and season the chowder to taste with the sea salt.
- At this point you can remove some of the corn and potatoes for garnish and puree the rest of the chowder to your liking using an immersion blender. Alternatively transfer the chowder to a blender and carefully puree until smooth to your liking.
- Serve with the reserved corn and potatoes on top and garnished with the bell pepper, thyme and chives.