Creamy Sweet Potato Kale Soup Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure policy.
Vegan, creamy sweet potato kale soup with spinach and silky coconut milk. Healthy, pure vegetarian, paleo, dairy and gluten-free. Use a splash of water instead of olive oil to make this 100% whole-food plant-based as well.
Simple 1 pot green soup ready under 30 minutes!
You start with sauteing the aromatics in a splash of water or a drizzle of olive oil, then simmer together with chopped sweet potatoes and kale before pureeing them together with wilted spinach, herbs and coconut milk into a smooth and comforting soup. Or you can skip the blender and leave it chunky if you prefer, maybe add some cannellini beans or broccoli into the mix…
Be generous with the garnishes: everything from fresh cilantro to spicy chilis, to toasted nuts, hemp seeds and thin sliced radishes goes here. A favorite delicious way to get that nutritious supernatural healthy kale in our lives.
Usually kind of a tough and bitter green vegetable, kale is a form of cabbage in the Brassica family. But once paired with the sweet potato and spinach in this soup it’s pure deliciousness.
You’ll Love This Creamy Sweet Potato Kale Soup! It’s:
Cozy & Comforting
Good for You
A Little Spicy
So Easy & Delicious.
+If you are looking for a way to eat loads of leafy greens without even realizing, this soup is the way! Serve with a chunk of homemade crusty bread, a quinoa salad or steamed brown rice.
Popular Soups to Try:
How To Store It:
Once completely cooled this kale soup can be stored in lidded glass containers in the refrigerator up to 5 days. Since it is dairy-free it can also be frozen up to 6 months in freezer proof containers. Thaw out in the refrigerator before reheating in a sauce pan over medium-low heat.
note: Kale contains a lot of phytochemicals plant compounds that protect against all kinds of cancers. It is also loaded with A, C and K vitamins, calcium and iron and seven times (7) the beta-carotene of broccoli and 10 times (10) the lutein and zeaxanthin.
how to make it:
Creamy Sweet Potato Kale Soup
Vegan, creamy sweet potato kale soup with silky coconut milk. Healthy, vegetarian, paleo, dairy and gluten-free. Use a splash of water instead of olive oil to make this 100% whole-food plant-based as well.Print Recipe
- 1 bunch kale -chopped
- 1 lb baby spinach
- 1 large sweet potato -diced
- 1 onion -diced
- 1 carrot -diced
- 4 cups water or low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 cup coconut or cashew milk -organic
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro - roughly chopped + more for garnish
- 1 leaf bay
- 1 green chili pepper -sliced + some for garnish
- 1 pinch sea salt -to taste
- 1 drizzle water (or olive oil)
- Heat up a medium dutch oven pot over low flame. Add the onion, carrot and sliced chili pepper with a splash of water (or a drizzle of olive oil) and sautee 5 minutes until softened.
- Stir in the sweet potatoes, kale leaves and bay, then pour in the water or vegetable stock. Bring to a simmer and cook 15 to 20 minutes until the potatoes have softened.
- Stir in the baby spinach and chopped bunch of cilantro and simmer another minute or so, just until wilted. Taste and season with the sea salt. Discard the bay leaf.
- Add the cashew or coconut milk then carefully transfer the soup to a powerful blender and puree until smooth. Alternatively you can use an immersion blender to puree the soup to your liking. Taste and adjust seasonings with more sea salt at this point if needed.
- Ladle into bowls and serve garnished with cilantro, toasted pumpkin seeds and more chili pepper for heat.OPTIONAL: Garnish with a drizzle of coconut cream for effect.
- The sweet potatoes can be replaced with butternut squash or pumpkin.
- If you prefer a chunky version of this soup just skip the blending step, and feel free to load it up with extra goodies like quinoa, lentils or chickpeas.
- To make the soup WFPB & Plantricious compliant make sure to use veggie broth or water instead of oil.
Calories: 96kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 1g | Sodium: 231mg | Potassium: 990mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 21105IU | Vitamin C: 76.2mg | Calcium: 190mg | Iron: 3.9mg
Servings: 4 people
This was very good. I was looking for something with kale to boost my immunity system, something that wasn’t a salad. I didn’t expect actually love it but this one is really tasty and i’ll Make again. Thank you for the recipe.
Florentina, is there a share button for this particular page that I’m missing? I see the Facebook button at the top which brings me to your page, but I am looking for the one for this recipe 🙂 They all look delicious.
Made this soup yesterday. I was a little nervous about the flavor but it was a HIT! The flavor and texture was amazing. I added pepper flakes after for those who aren’t fans. Also added smoked tempeh for protein. Will definitely make it again.