Why We Love this Cabbage and White Bean Soup:
Healthy Cabbage and White Bean Soup
- 1 small green cabbage - shredded
- 15 oz canned white cannellini beans
- 15 oz canned fire roasted tomatoes - diced
- 1/2 yellow onion or leek - diced
- 1 carrot - shredded (optional)
- 1 tbsp caraway seeds
- 2 tsp black peppercorns
- 2 leaves bay
- 10 sprigs thyme
- 5 sprigs fresh dill
- 1/2 cup Italian Parsley - chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh dill - roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh chives - snipped
- 10 cups water or vegetable stock + more as needed
- 1 pinch sea salt to taste
- 2 tsp water (or olive oil)
- Heat up a large soup pot over medium low flame. Add the diced onion or leeks with a pinch of sea salt and a splash of water. You can totally go oil-free here and not miss a thing, I promise.
- Stir in the carrot, red pepper flakes and caraway seeds and cook everything together for about 5 minutes until the onion / leeks have softened.
- Add the shredded cabbage, bay leaf, peppercorns, dill and thyme, give it a stir and cook together another 5 minutes or so until the cabbage has softened.
- Pour in the tomatoes and water or vegetable stock and bring to a good simmer. Cook the soup for another 15 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings with more sea salt and the apple cider vinegar.
- Meanwhile, rinse and drain the cannellini beans and add them to the cabbage soup. Cook a few more minutes until just warmed through.
- Serve hot, garnished with the fresh parsley, dill and chives, s or add cooked quinoa or brown rice for a more filling stew at this point.