Why We Love this Cabbage and Bean Soup:
Healthy Cabbage and White Bean Soup
The best vegan healthy cabbage soup recipe with Italian flair from white cannellini beans, tomatoes and herbs.
- 1 small green cabbage - shredded
- 15 oz canned white cannellini beans
- 15 oz canned fire roasted tomatoes - diced
- 1/2 yellow onion or leek - diced
- 1 carrot - shredded (optional)
- 1 tbsp caraway seeds
- 2 tsp black peppercorns
- 2 leaves bay
- 10 sprigs thyme
- 5 sprigs fresh dill
- 1/2 cup Italian Parsley - chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh dill - roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh chives - snipped
- 10 cups water or vegetable stock + more as needed
- 1 pinch sea salt to taste
- 2 tsp olive oil or a splash of water
Heat up a large soup pot over medium low flame. Add the diced onion or leeks with a pinch of sea salt and a light drizzle of olive oil or a splash of water. You can totally go oil-free here and not miss a thing.
Stir in the carrot, red pepper flakes and caraway seeds and cook everything together for about 5 minutes until the onion / leeks have softened.
Add the shredded cabbage, bay leaf, peppercorns, dill and thyme, give it a stir and cook together another 5 minutes or so until the cabbage has softened.
Pour in the tomatoes and water or vegetable stock and bring to a good simmer. Cook the soup for another 15 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings with more sea salt and the apple cider vinegar.
Meanwhile, rinse and drain the cannellini beans and add them to the cabbage soup. Cook a few more minutes until just warmed through.
Serve hot, garnished with the fresh parsley, dill and chives, s or add cooked quinoa or brown rice for a more filling stew at this point.
This soup always tastes best the next day as the beans and cabbage sit together in the broth with the herbs and absorb all those flavors. Makes great leftovers!