‘Tis the season for steaming bowls of soups and stews!
This is a riff on a simple lentil soup I posted on CiaoFlorentina a while back. The flavor profile stays the same but I added hearty, filling ingredients in this version.
get creative and swap the potatoes with:
whole wheat pasta or orzo.
Out of spinach ? No problem, use chopped up chard or kale instead, just remember to simmer it for a few minutes longer as it is a tougher green unlike spinach. Or add a bag of sweet green peas for both texture and extra plant-based protein and serve over creamy mashed potatoes.
P.S. As always, If you make this recipe please come back and rate it, snap a photo a tag us with #VeggieSociety on Instagram. It would totally make my day!
how to make vegan red lentil stew:
Vegan Red Lentil Stew with Spinach & Potatoes
- 1.5 cup red lentils ( you can use green or brown)
- 1 yellow onion - diced
- 6 cloves garlic - minced
- 2 carrots - sliced into rounds
- 14 oz canned fire roasted tomatoes - diced
- 2 red bell peppers - roasted & chopped
- 2 leaves bay
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 3 cups baby spinach ( kale, chard, dandelion greens)
- 6 cups water ( or vegetable stock) + more as needed
- 8 sprigs thyme
- 2 cups golden potatoes - diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 pinch sea salt + more to taste
- If roasting your own peppers prepare them first by heating up a cast iron plate over medium high heat. Roast the bell peppers until charred all over and the skins turn black. Transfer to a bowl, cover and allow to cool off. Once cool enough to handle simple peel and discard the charred skins, sees and chore. Chop the peppers into 1/2 inch chunks and set aside until needed.
- Heat up a heavy bottom pot over medium low flame. Add a splash of water (or a drizzle of olive oil) together with the diced onion and a pinch of sea salt. Add the carrot and sautee together for about 5 minutes until the onion is translucent.
- Add the bay leaf, thyme and garlic and give everything a good stir.
- Mix in the lentils, chopped roasted peppers, smoked paprika and canned tomatoes. Pour in the water.
- Bring the stew to a simmer and season to taste with sea salt.
- Add the diced potatoes and cook everything together for about 15 minutes until both the potatoes and the lentils are cooked through.
- Discard the bay leaves and thyme stalks and add the spinach. Cover with the lid and allow it to wilt in the heat from the steam.
- Serve hot with fresh herbs, chili flakes and a piece of crusty homemade bread.