‘Tis the season for steaming bowls of soups and stews!
Comforting golden potatoes and red lentils are simmered together with smoky roasted red bell peppers, fire roasted tomatoes, smoked paprika and herbs until thick and hearty. Absolutely no need to soak red lentils, you can add them straight into the soup pot.
Oh my tastebuds!
This is a riff on a simple lentil soup recipe I initially posted on CiaoFlorentina a while back. The flavor profile stays the same but I added extra hearty, filling ingredients in this version.
get creative and swap the potatoes with:
- dumplings or potato gnocchi
- wild rice, quinoa or barley
- butternut squash or sweet potatoes
- artichoke hearts
- whole wheat pasta, orzo or farro
- + add in some plant-based Italian Beyond sausages.
There’s no wrong way to make this vegan lentil stew!
As most recipes you’ll find on this blog, this one also changes with the seasons and whatever is available in the pantry.
Out of spinach ?
No problem! Use chopped up chard, kale or collard greens instead, just remember to simmer it for a few minutes longer as it is a tougher green unlike spinach. Or add a bag of sweet green peas for both texture and extra plant-based protein and serve with my homemade crusty bread or spoon over creamy mashed potatoes.
P.S. As always, If you make this recipe please come back and rate it, snap a photo a tag us with #VeggieSociety on Instagram. It always totally makes my day ~ Florentina Xo’s
how to make vegan red lentil stew:
Vegan Red Lentil Stew with Spinach and Potatoes
- 1.5 cup red lentils ( rinsed well)
- 1 yellow onion - diced
- 6 cloves garlic - minced
- 2 carrots - sliced into rounds
- 14 oz canned fire roasted tomatoes - diced
- 2 red bell peppers - roasted & chopped
- 2 leaves bay
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 3 cups baby spinach ( kale, chard, dandelion greens)
- 6 cups water ( or vegetable stock) + more as needed
- 8 sprigs thyme
- 2 cups golden potatoes - diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 pinch sea salt + more to taste
- If roasting your own peppers prepare them first by heating up a cast iron plate over medium high heat. Roast the bell peppers until charred all over and the skins turn black. Transfer to a bowl, cover and allow to cool off. Once cool enough to handle simple peel and discard the charred skins, sees and chore. Chop the peppers into 1/2 inch chunks and set aside until needed.
- Heat up a heavy bottom pot over medium low flame. Add a drizzle of olive oil (or a splash of water for WFPB Plantricious diets) together with the diced onion and a pinch of sea salt. Add the carrot and sautee together for about 5 minutes until the onion is translucent.
- Add the bay leaf, thyme and garlic and give everything a good stir.
- Mix in the lentils, chopped roasted peppers, smoked paprika and canned tomatoes. Pour in the water.
- Bring the stew to a simmer and season to taste with sea salt.
- Add the diced potatoes and cook everything together for about 15 minutes until both the potatoes and the lentils are cooked through.
- Discard the bay leaves and thyme stalks and add the spinach. Cover with the lid and allow it to wilt in the heat from the steam.
- Serve hot with fresh herbs, chili flakes and a piece of crusty homemade bread.
- To make this recipe WFPBNO & Plantricious compliant make sure to sautee in veggie broth or water and omit any oil.