A short cut to your classic stuffed peppers but quicker and easier without sacrificing any of the amazing flavor at all. 1-Pot awesomeness!
Traditionally made with ground up animal parts (Yikes) and white rice, we are making this soup beefless, cruelty-free without any meat whatsoever and actually healthy, nutritious and good for you. You can literally eat this every day with a chunk of crusty bread If you wanted to.
There’s meaty texture from mushrooms and instead of empty white rice we are using nutty farro grains that are packed with nutrients, tasty and filling.
the bell peppers
I like to use a colorful mix of bell peppers. If you seem to be fond of just green, orange or red varieties or even banana peppers, by all means use those. I like the marriage of flavors between the bitterness of the greens and the sweetness of the others.
How to Make Unstuffed Pepper Soup
- Start by sautéing flavorful leeks, carrot and celery to create your first flavor base.
- Add the mushrooms and your spices and toss everything to coat well.
- Load up with diced bell peppers in your favorite colors. Add tomatoes and veggie stock and bring to a simmer.
- Add the farro grains and cook until al dente.
- Adjust seasonings and serve with vegan sour cream, Italian parsley and crusty bread to soak up all that delicious broth.
Recipe Tips + Substitutions
- Technically you could cook the farro separately here and add it to the soup as you serve it. However, please don’t do that! By cooking the farro together with the bell peppers and leeks it will absorb all that fabulous flavor from the tomato broth and naturally thicken the soup. Not to worry, If you like your soup thinner just add some extra veggie stock before serving.
- Don’t have any farro? No problem, use barley, wild rice mix, lentils or protein packed quinoa instead.
- Instead of mushrooms you could go for chopped up meaty rehydrated soy curls or any plant-based meat of your choosing. The soy curls are a whole food while any meat substitute crosses into processed territory.
- To make the recipe gluten-free make sure to replace the farro with brown rice, quinoa, lentils or even a mix of wild rice and adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- Storage: The soup keeps well in the fridge up to 5 days and makes a perfect freezer meal. It can be frozen in freezer proof glass containers for up to 4 months or so. Just make sure you allow it to cool off completely and leave about 1 inch of space at the top of the containers before freezing.
You’ll love this soup, it’s:
Perfect for a Crowd.
What to serve with unstuffed pepper soup
As always please report back if you give this recipe a go, snap a photo and tag me with #VeggieSociety on Instagram, it always brightens my day ~ Florentina Xo’s
Vegan Unstuffed Pepper Soup
- 3-4 bell peppers -diced
- 1 medium leek
- 1 carrot -diced
- 1 celery rib -diced
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms -chopped
- 1.25 cups farro
- 15 oz San Marzano Tomatoes (lightly crushed)
- 6-8 cups veggie stock (salt free)
- 4 cloves garlic -minced
- 2 leaves bay
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1/3 cup flat leaf Italian parsley (roughly chopped)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar (optional)
- 1 pinch sea salt -to taste
- freshly cracked black pepper (for serving)
- Slice the leek lengthwise, chop and rinse it well.
- Preheat a heavy stock pot over medium flame. Add a drizzle of olive oil (or a splash of water for WFPB + Plantricious diets) and sautee the leeks with a pinch of sea salt and saute until wilted.
- Add the carrot and celery and saute a few more minutes until they begin to soften. Add the mushrooms and cook until wilted. Stir in the garlic, bay leaves and spices and toss to coat well.
- Add the bell peppers, tomatoes and 6 cups of the veggies tock and bring to a simmer.
- Stir in the farro, cover with a lid and cook 15 to 20 minutes until the farro is al dente.
- Taste and adjust seasonings with the sea salt. Add more veggie stock at this time to thin out the soup if desired.
- Serve with fresh Italian parsley, extra red pepper flakes, freshly cracked black pepper, slices of red chili pepper and a classic dollop of vegan sour cream.
WFPB + Plantricious
- To make the recipe WFPB + Plantricious compliant make sure to omit all oil and saute all your veggie in a splash of water or veggie broth.
- Instead of mushrooms you could also use chopped up rehydrated soy curls for extra protein and meaty texture.
- To make it gluten-free replace the farro with quick cook brown rice or quinoa.
- Storage: The soup keeps well in the fridge up to 5 days and makes a perfect freezer meal. It can be frozen in freezer proof glass containers for up to 4 months or so.