Vegan Unstuffed Pepper Soup
Easy vegan unstuffed pepper soup recipe with mushrooms and whole grain farro in a lightened up, healthy and hearty tomato based broth. Oil free, plant based vegan!
Servings 6 people
- 3-4 bell peppers -diced
- 1 medium leek
- 1 carrot -diced
- 1 celery rib -diced
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms -chopped
- 1.25 cups farro
- 15 oz San Marzano Tomatoes (lightly crushed)
- 6-8 cups veggie stock (salt free)
- 4 cloves garlic -minced
- 2 leaves bay
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1/3 cup flat leaf Italian parsley (roughly chopped)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar (optional)
- 1 pinch sea salt -to taste
- freshly cracked black pepper (for serving)
Slice the leek lengthwise, chop and rinse it well.
Preheat a heavy stock pot over medium flame. Add a drizzle of olive oil (or a splash of water for WFPB + Plantricious diets) and sautee the leeks with a pinch of sea salt and saute until wilted.
Add the carrot and celery and saute a few more minutes until they begin to soften. Add the mushrooms and cook until wilted. Stir in the garlic, bay leaves and spices and toss to coat well.
Add the bell peppers, tomatoes and 6 cups of the veggies tock and bring to a simmer.
Stir in the farro, cover with a lid and cook 15 to 20 minutes until the farro is al dente.
Taste and adjust seasonings with the sea salt. Add more veggie stock at this time to thin out the soup if desired.
Serve with fresh Italian parsley, extra red pepper flakes, freshly cracked black pepper, slices of red chili pepper and a classic dollop of vegan sour cream.
- Instead of mushrooms you could also use chopped up rehydrated soy curls for extra protein and meaty texture.
- To make it gluten-free replace the farro with quick cook brown rice or quinoa.
- Storage: The soup keeps well in the fridge up to 5 days and makes a perfect freezer meal. It can be frozen in freezer proof glass containers for up to 4 months or so.
Calories: 231kcal | Carbohydrates: 50g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1062mg | Potassium: 728mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 5100IU | Vitamin C: 90.3mg | Calcium: 73mg | Iron: 3.3mg