Can Vegans Eat Cream of Mushroom Soup ?
Is It Dairy Free ?
A. Heck yeah we can Ninja, what kind of crazy talk is that ? Plus we make the best version of it and that’s a fact. It’s also actually good for you and you can eat the entire pot If you wanna, just do it when nobody’s watching because you shall be judged no matter what they tell you.
Truly a One Pot Wonder!
I’m pretty sure I could pitch a tent and sell this stuff right now, it’s that good my friends.
You start with sweet onions and garlic, lots of mushrooms cause it’s all about them duhhh, garlic, chili flakes and white wine. Basically you get them all drunk together let them have a party in there with some thyme, onion powder and nutritional yeast and wowza, your flavor base is perfect. No need for bullion cubes or other nonsense, you can throw that stuff out right now.
If you want to get fancy you can add barley or wild rice into the mix but really you don’t have to. Also If pureed soups are more your thing, just ladle it into your Vitamix and turn it into baby food, I think it’s way nicer this way but to each his own.
You’ll Love This Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup. It’s:
Watch How to Make Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup:
Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1.5 lb brown button mushrooms -sliced
- 1 sweet yellow onion -diced
- 3 cloves garlic -minced
- 1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 qt veggie stock (low sodium & warm)
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast (or chickpea miso)
- 6-8 sprigs fresh thyme (leaves only)
- 1/3 cup fresh chives -snipped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley -chopped
- sea salt + black pepper to taste
- Preheat a heavy bottom soup pot over medium flame. Add a splash of water, the onions, red pepper flakes and a pinch of sea salt. Toss to coat and sweat until translucent adding more water as needed taking care not to burn the onion.
- Stir in the minced garlic and toss to coat. Add the sliced mushrooms, stir to combine then cover with a lid. Sweat everything together for a few minutes until the mushrooms start to wilt.
- Pour in the white wine then add the thyme, onion powder, black pepper and nutritional yeast. Continue to simmer until almost all the liquid has evaporated.
- Sprinkle in the flour and toss to coat then add the veggie stock. Stir to mix well and use a whisk to combine well. Bring back to a simmer and cook about 10 minutes until the soup has thickened.
- Add the coconut cream and cook one more minute or so.
- Remove the soup from heat and add the fresh parsley and chives. Taste and adjust seasonings at this point with more sea salt, black pepper and chili flakes to your liking. Serve hot with extra herbs for garnish.
- The nutritional yeast can be replaced with equal amounts of chickpea miso if desired and you won’t sacrifice any of the flavor. Make sure to whisk it into the veggie stock before adding it to the soup.
- To make it gluten free replace the whole wheat flour with equal amounts of chickpea flour.
- The soup will continue to thicken as it cools down but it will thin out again upon reheating. If you prefer it thinner at this point just stir in a splash of veggie stock.