“This post has been sponsored by The Coca Cola Company. All thoughts and opinions are my own.”
Red Blood Orange Sangria—the perfectly festive wintertime drink to make its appearance on your holiday table all the way into the new year!
It has been a long year; it’s time for HAPPY HOUR!
Bring Out that Blood Orange Sangria Pitcher!
A drink of Spanish origin, sangria is an alcoholic version of punch that traditionally consists of red wine, sliced fruit, orange juice, and some type of brandy, liquor or rum. It is believed to get its name from the Spanish word sangre, meaning blood, referencing the color of the most famous Spanish beverage.
I promise this sangria will pair nicely with pretty much all of your Thanksgiving and Christmas delicacies, some will beg to argue the drinks are where it’s at this time of the year. Who am I to say no?! Cheers friends!
There’s a short window of time when you can take advantage of the blood orange season. It never seems to last long enough in my opinion. It starts about now for us here in California. The first variety to hit the market will be the Moro, hence the featured ones here.
Luckily, now we can get a little flavor boost anytime of the year with a little help from the DASANI® Sparkling Blood Orange water.
Visit your local Safeway store to find your favorite flavors!
In all honesty, friends, if you have a hard time finding blood oranges in your area, just use a mix of regular oranges and grapefruit. Juice those babies and make this sangria like a boss with a flavor boost from DASANI® Sparkling!
If you have a sweet tooth when it comes to cocktails, you might want to use a red Moscato wine, otherwise, your favorite fruity red wine will do.
This Red Blood Orange Sangria is everything:
DASANI® Sparkling is a line of flavored sparkling water. Each delicious flavor is unsweetened with no artificial flavors and zero calories, just the way we love it around here! Remember to add them to your shopping list on your next trip to Safeway.
Red Blood Orange Sangria
- 7 blood oranges
- 1 cup DASANI® Sparkling Blood Orange (+ more to taste)
- 1.5 liter bottle red wine (something fruity or a Moscato)
- 1/2 cup orange liquor, brandy or rum
- zest from 1 orange
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar for rimming glasses (optional)
- Juice 5 of the blood oranges and strain the juice.
- In a pitcher, combine the blood orange juice with the red wine and orange liquor.
- Slice the two remaining oranges and add them to the pitcher with the sangria. Refrigerate for up to 4 hours. (After this point, make sure to discard the sliced oranges or they will make the sangria bitter.)
- On a small plate, mix together the granulated sugar and orange zest.
- Use a slice of orange and run it across the mouth of each glass. Place the glass upside down in the sugar mix and twist a couple of times back and forth.
- When ready to serve, add the DASANI® Sparkling water to the sangria pitcher and give it a good stir.
- Pour over ice in the sugar rimmed glasses and enjoy!