Crispy. Saucy. Healthy. Italian Tofu Parmesan!
It all starts with my homemade vegan parmesan!
I’m a big fan of the walnut version but it can also be done with raw cashews, pine nuts and even macadamias. Best to experiment with your favorite nuts and find your favorite combo.
the panko breadcrumb crust:
- Using panko breadcrumbs results in the crispiest texture ever. If not available just use any unseasoned whole grain bread crumbs you have in the pantry.
- Alternatively you can make your own breadcrumbs using stale or toasted bread. Process in the food processor until a coarse texture forms, slowly using the pulse button so you don’t over do it.
Because of the wonderful walnut parmesan coating this tofu can be made as healthy as possible. Not greasy, completely oil-free using the oven baked method or air fryer without the tofu steaks drying out at all.
what to serve with:
- creamy polenta
- mashed potatoes
- in a pasta casserole
- vegan mac and cheese
- sandwiches / sliders
- roasted spaghetti squash.
Optional: you can top your tofu with plant based cheese slices and finish under the broiler for a few seconds until melted and gooey. Keep in mind however that the cheese contains oil so it must be omitted for the whole food plant based and Plantricious diets.
P.S. If you try this recipe please come back here to rate it, snap a photo and tag me with #VeggieSociety on Instagram, it always brightens up my day ~ Florentina Xo’s
how to make the best tofu parmesan:
Baked Tofu Parmesan
- 1/2 cup cashew milk (or plain plant milk of your choosing)
- 2 tbsp whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/4 cup vegan parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup plain panko bread crumbs (or any plain whole grain bread crumbs will do)
- Drain the tofu and slice into 8 slices width-wise. Pat dry with a lint free towel and try to press out as much of the water as possible.
- Place in a freezer proof container and freeze solid.
- Defrost the tofu and wrap it in a lint free towel. Place on a tray and cover with a heavy object to press. (Use a skillet, cutting board, heavy pot, canned tomatoes etc.) Press for a good 45 minutes or so to get out as much of the moisture as possible.
- Meanwhile mix together the vegan parmesan and bread crumbs and set aside.
Prepare the Tofu:
- Season the tofu pieces with a pinch of sea salt and black pepper on both sides then coat in the tapioca.
- Whisk together the batter ingredients until smooth then dip each tofu slice in it.
- Coat in the vegan parmesan crust mixture shaking off any excess.
- Place the coated tofu pieces on a parchment lined baking sheet or air fryer tray without touching each other.
- Preheat the oven to 400”F and cook the tofu for 30 minutes flipping half way.
- OPTIONAL: Top the tofu with your favorite plant based cheese slices ( I love Follow Your Heart & Violife) and place under the broiler for about 30 seconds or so until melted.
- Meanwhile heat up the marinara in a skillet and transfer the parmesan tofu into sauce. Spoon some of the sauce over the top and serve hot over creamy polenta, pasta or mashed potatoes.
Air Fryer Method:
- Follow the steps above, but instead of baking it air fry the tofu at 375”F for 12 to 15 minutes flipping half way.
$9.99/year. No ads.