How to Roast Spaghetti Squash Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure policy.
Easy step by step guide on how to roast spaghetti squash halves in the oven. With or without oil this recipe comes out perfectly every time. Turn it into lovely angel hair noodles to use instead of pasta for a wintery gluten free dinner coated in a light pesto or homemade marinara sauce.
Because ’tis the season for roasting all kinds of delicious veggies you can enjoy in endless different variations. Incredibly versatile, I’m thinking angel hair style with oven roasted cherry tomatoes, garlic and herbs served out of the squash shells turned eco friendly rustic bowls and sprinkled with vegan walnut parmesan cheese. Or top them with a big scoop of this Italian peperonata sauce ~ out of this world!
It’s A Super Easy Roasting Process:
Cut the squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Brush the inside with a thin layer of olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt and some red pepper flakes and let it roast away cut side up for about 45 minutes or so until al dente. You want it nice and golden around the edges.
This is the best, most delicious method in my opinion. For the oil-free version you’ll be roasting the squash halves upside down, this method creates steam and roasts the squash without drying it out at all. You’ll need a fork to shred the squash noodles out of the shell following their natural direction like shown in the photo below.
How to Roast Spaghetti Squash Notes:
- Can be cooked in advance as it keeps well in the fridge for up to a week.
- Oven roasted spaghetti squash also freezes well, so you might want to cook a few of them ahead of time, portion and freeze for later to use in soups and stir fries.
- Save and refrigerate the shells to use as natural serving bowls. Kids love this!
- To get it more golden brown around the edges just place the squash under the broiler flames for a few minutes after baking. Keep a close eye on it making sure not to burn it.
P.S. If you make this recipe please come back here to rate it, snap a photo and tag us with #VeggieSociety on Instagram. I love to see your creations ~ Florentina Xo’s
How to Roast Spaghetti Squash
- 2 spaghetti squashes
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 2 tsp olive oil or water for brushing
- Preheat your oven to 400”F.
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds.( I find that a grapefruit spoon works perfect here).
- Brush the inside of each squash half with a thin layer of olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt and some red pepper flakes and place on a parchment lined baking sheet cut side up.
- Roast in the preheated oven at 400”F for 45 minutes to 1 hour (depending on its size) until fork tender.
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds.Lightly brush the inside with water (or veggie stock), not too much so it won’t turn out mushy. Sprinkle with sea salt and roast cut side down on a parchment lined baking dish for 45 minutes or until tender.
Finally I’m in love with spaghetti squash. Roasting it with salt and Pepper is definitely the way to go, only think is I ate both halves on my own. Ooops, I’ll do it again soon lol