For all of you awesome parents who are trying hard and doing all you can to get your children to eat a clean plant based diet: you won’t ever have to buy any chicken nuggets ever again. I’ll show you how to easily prep these cruelty-free goodies in advance so you can make them anytime you want without much trouble.
The secret to meaty tofu nuggets texture ?
By pressing the tofu then freezing it and defrosting you’ll achieve a perfectly meaty texture that will leave you saying: I can’t believe that’s not chicken!
Enter my favorite kitchen tool: the air fryer!
These Crispy Tofu Nuggets are Truly Divine:
simply the best.
Super easy to make:
- Press tofu
- Freeze and defrost
- Coat in spices, batter and panko crust
- Air fry to perfection!
Crispy Tofu Coating Ideas:
Corn flakes cereal.
Crispy Tofu Nuggets - Air Fryer Recipe
- 3/4 cup plant milk
- 2-3 tbsp whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- Drain the tofu, wrap it in a tea towel and set on a plate. Place a heavy pot/pan/dish on top of it and allow it to press for a couple of hours. You can do this on the kitchen counter or in the fridge.
- After you have pressed the tofu try to pat some more moisture out of it. Transfer to a freezer safe glass container, cover with a lid and freeze. You can do this step in advance and prepare a dozen blocks of tofu at once for future use if you'd like.
- Defrost the tofu block and repeat pressing as much moisture out of it as possible with a tea towel.
- Use your hands and tear it into 1 inch irregular pieces. Set aside.
- In a bowl combine together the tapioca, sea salt, black pepper, garlic and onion powder. Add the tofu pieces and toss to coat well.
Prepare the Batter & Coating:
- In a small bowl whisk together the plant milk, whole wheat flour and sweet paprika until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl combine the panko bread crumbs and nutritional yeast.
- Dip each nugget in the batter until coated then toss in the bread crumb mixture. Shake any excess and place them on a parchment lined air fryer tray without touching each other. Repeat with all the nuggets.
- Air fry the tofu nuggets at 375”F for 15 minutes until golden and crispy flipping them half way. Serve hot with your choice of dipping sauces.
- To make these gluten free just use a brown rice flour in the batter and swap the panko bread crumbs for crushed puffed brown rice cereal or corn flakes.
- Though these nuggets require absolutely zero oil, I know some of you are still going to insist on using some. I totally understand, in this case please try to use an olive oil spray to coat the nuggets before air frying. Believe it or not you will end up using way less fats than you would by brushing or drizzling it on top. Plus the coverage is so much better too.