The best ever Cucumber Tomato Onion Salad recipe with basil and thyme tossed with a light but classic Italian olive oil and red wine vinegar dressing. Easy breezy, healthy and plant-based vegan. An oil-free wfpb vinaigrette option included in the recipe!
Cucumber Tomato Salad
As I was watering the different heirloom tomato plants this morning I couldn’t help but daydream of this real simple and refreshing tomato salad passed down from my grandpa. Serve alongside these vegan ribs and avocado mashed potatoes for the ultimate summer meal.
This salad is the #1 reason I grow tomatoes!
Italian Salad Dressing
Choose between red wine and apple cider vinegar when making your dressing. And If you are looking for an oil-free vinaigrette I got you covered, just follow the instructions for the WFPB version in the recipe card below. Also, give these balsamic tomatoes a try.
Salad Add Ins:
- Fresh Herbs: go crazy with basil, chive blossoms, dill, parsley, oregano or thyme.
- Vegan Feta: a few crumbles of salty Violife feta take this salad over the top.
- Black Olives or Salty Capers
- Vegan Mozzarella Balls.
Is Cucumber Tomato Salad Healthy ?
Both tomatoes and cucumbers are healthy nutritious whole foods. There’s no sugar, no mayo, no cheese, but we can still make a salad less healthy with the amount of oil we add to it. A little bit goes a long way. (This article from NutritionFacts.org explains the science on oil really nice). Here are a few things to consider:
- tomatoes are some of the healthiest foods on Planet Earth, rich in antioxidants, lycopene, lutein and vitamin C.
- the government still can’t decide whether the tomato is a vegetable, a fruit or a berry and honestly I’m just happy they aren’t animals.
- vine ripened tomatoes have twice the amount of vitamin C as the ones grown in a hot house, so grow your own if you can or hit the farmers market for some beautiful heirlooms.
- Onions have cancer fighting, antioxidant, anti-viral, antibiotic and anti-inflammatory properties. They also help build strong bones and lower blood pressure.
How to Make Cucumber Tomato Onion Salad:
Tomato Onion Cucumber Salad
- 2 lb heirloom tomatoes
- 1 English cucumber (or 4 small Persian cucumbers )
- 6 green onions, red scallions or 1/2 cup red onion - sliced
- 2-3 tbsp red wine or apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (cold pressed)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt +more to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, dill or oregano
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 pinch black pepper - freshly cracked
- In a large salad bowl whisk together the olive oil and vinegar. Season to taste with sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
- Use a serrated knife and slice the tomatoes into wedges. Gently toss them with the salad dressing. Set aside and slice the cucumber and onion then add them to the salad. Toss again, taste and adjust seasonings with more sea salt and vinegar until your taste buds are happy.
- Sprinkle with the basil leaves, thyme and whatever edible blossoms you have around your garden. Allow the salad to sit at room temperature for at least 5 minutes for the tomatoes to release their juices and marry with all the other flavors.
WFPB Oil-Free Vinaigrette:
- Blanch and peel one medium size heirloom tomato. Discard the skin. Puree the tomato together with the vinegar in a blender or food processor until smooth. Season with sea salt and toss with the tomatoes and cucumbers.