These creamy black beans are a healthy riff on refried beans: oil-free, vegan and 100% WFPB.
But I promise you that they deliver in flavor and there are endless ways to enjoy them every day. Yes you guys, I’m pretty sure there are some type of cooked beans in our fridge at all times. Black, pinto, white, red: we love them all.
As much as I love to keep things easy and simple, you really can’t get this awesomeness out of canned beans. They just aren’t the same, the magic comes from the slow cooking process with all the herbs and spices.
Creamy Black Beans Recipe ~ Vegan WFPB
- 3 cups black beans (soaked for 6 hours)
- 2 carrots -sliced into rounds
- 1 yellow onion -cut in half
- 5 cloves garlic -peeled
- 3 leaves bay
- 1/2 bunch thyme
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp dry oregano
- 1 tsp ground coriander (optional)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin -or to taste
- 1/2 tsp chile powder
- 1 pinch sea salt to taste
- water as needed
- Rinse the beans then soak them for 6 hours. Drain and rinse well.
- Add the black beans to a medium size heavy bottom pot together with the carrots, onion, garlic, bay leaf and thyme.
- Cover with water by 2 inches and bring to a boil. Cover with a tight lid and simmer on medium low flame for 2 hours.
- Add the smoked paprika, onion powder, red pepper flakes, coriander and oregano and cook another 30 to 45 minutes until the beans are buttery tender and most of the water has been absorbed. Season to taste with sea salt and discard the bay leaf and thyme sprigs. Remove from flame.
- Use a hand held immersion blender to purée the beans until whipped and fluffy to your liking. Add more liquid if desired at this point.
- Serve with fresh cilantro and lime next to brown rice, in tacos or as a spread on sandwiches.