Stuffing Add Ins Ideas:
Best Vegan Mushroom Stuffing
The best vegan stuffing recipe Italian style with mushrooms, pine nuts, roasted butternut squash, farro and a smooth pesto dressing.
- 3/4 cup farro
- 1 medium butternut squash -peeled and diced into 1 inch cubes (about 3 cups)
- 1/2 lb shiitake mushrooms, chanterelles or porcini -sliced
- 3/4 cup cannellini beans -cooked
- 1/2 whole wheat baguette (day old or grilled cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup toasted pinenuts (or roasted chestnuts)
- 1/2 cup yellow onion -diced
- 3/4 cup heirloom cherry tomatoes -halved
- 1 tsp red peppers flakes
- 1/3 cup fresh herbs (basil, chives, thyme, sage, parsley)
- 1/3 cup red onion -thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 bunch Genoese Basil -leaves only
- 3 cloves garlic -grated
- 3 tbsp vegan parmesan cheese
- 1/2 lemon -juiced+more to taste
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil or veggie stock +more as needed
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves (for the mushrooms)
Make the Pesto:
Add the basil leaves, pine nuts, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil (or veggie stock for WFPB) and vegan parmesan to to bowl of a food processor and puree until smooth. Adjust seasoning to your taste with sea salt and lemon juice and use some more veggie stock or water to stretch out the sauce if needed. Refrigerate until ready to use
Roast the Butternut Squash:
Preheat your oven to 400”F.
In a large mixing bowl toss together the butternut squash cubes with a drizzle of olive oil, a good pinch of sea salt and red pepper flakes. Spread them out on a large parchment lined baking dish without touching each other. Roast for about 45 minutes until softened and they start to caramelize at the edges.
Cook the Farro:
Bring a medium pot of water to a rolling boil. Season with a good pinch of sea salt the add the farro. Simmer for about 20 minutes until al dente, a little bit chewy. Strain in a colander and rinse well with water. Set aside or refrigerate until needed.
Sautee the Mushrooms:
Warm up a large skillet over medium flame. Add the diced yellow onion with a pinch of sea salt and a drizzle of olive oil or about 1 tablespoon of water on WFPB diet. Stir to coat well and sautée for a few minutes until translucent. Add the sliced mushrooms and hit it with the white wine. Add the fresh thyme and allow to simmer until the mushrooms have wilted and the liquid has reduced almost completely. Taste and adjust seasonings with some sea salt and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
Assemble the Stuffing:
In a large mixing bowl add 3/4 of the pesto sauce, cooked farro, cannellini beans, the cooked mushrooms, red onion and about 3/4 of the roasted squash (reserve some for garnish If you like). Slice or tear the bread into bite size pieces and using a spatula gently fold everything together to combine well.
Taste and adjust seasonings again then transfer to a serving platter. Top with the reserved squash and drizzle the remaining pesto on top.
Sprinkle with the pine nuts and fresh herbs and serve warm.
If preparing the stuffing in advance, make sure to keep all the ingredients separate until ready to toss together and serve. Also remember to warm up the squash, farro, beans and mushrooms before mixing.