Vegan watermelon poke bowl recipe made without fish but tastes just like the real thing. All this thanks to the flavors from mixed sea vegetables and the texture of marinated watermelon.
Watermelon Poke Sauce:
I used a homemade combination of Tamari sauce, lemon juice, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, scallions, chili flakes and sesame seeds. It’s zesty and flavorful and perfectly compliments the sweetness of the watermelon.
- Start with sweet seedless and diced watermelon that gets marinated in the sauce for a couple of hours or overnight to absorb as much flavor as possible, like a sponge.
- In order to get a texture similar to that of tuna I then sautéed the watermelon until softened. Then back into the marinade it went to absorb more flavor and chill completely. You guys!
This Vegan Watermelon Poke Bowl Is Everything!
But Wait: What Are Sea Vegetables ?
P.S. if you make this recipe please remember to come back here to rate it, snap a photo and tag me with #VeggieSociety on Instagram.
note: Watermelon is one of the healthiest foods on the Planet, it has a high water and lycopene content plus it is loaded with Vitamin A and carotenoids.
Vegan Watermelon Poke Bowl
- 2 cups seedless watermelon -cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 tbsp sea vegetables -rinsed very well
- 2 tbsp Tamari sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic -grated
- 1 tsp ginger root -grated
- 1-2 scallions -finely chopped to taste
- 1 large lime -juiced
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds +or to taste
- 1 tsp red chili pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp fresh chives -for garnish
- In a medium salad bowl whisk together the Tamari sauce with the lemon juice, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, scallions, chili flakes and sesame seeds. Add the watermelon and sea vegetables and mix to coat well. Cover with a lid and refrigerate for 3 hours.
- After 3 hours have passed heat up a large skillet over medium low flame. Use a slotted spoon and transfer the watermelon from the marinade into the skillet. Saute until most moisture has evaporated and the watermelon cubes have softened, about 10 minutes. Transfer it back into the poke marinade, cover with a tight lid and refrigerate overnight or at least for another 2-3 hours until completely chilled.
- Serve the poke sprinkled with the fresh cilantro, chives and extra sesame seeds on top.
- Watermelon is one of the healthiest foods on the Planet, it has a high water and lycopene content plus it is loaded with Vitamin A and carotenoids.