A lovely pesto quinoa salad dressed in a vegan basil pesto and topped with oven roasted cherry tomatoes, artichokes, roasted bell peppers and toasted pine nuts. I like to call it an Italian style Buddha bowl.
As the seasons change add some grilled zucchini, asparagus, mushrooms, avocado, healthy broccoli or roasted sweet potatoes into the mix.
Keep it fresh, and you’ll never get bored with your pesto quinoa bowls ever again!
As always, If you make this recipe come back here to rate it, snap a photo and tag us with #VeggieSociey on Instagram.
Vegan Pesto Quinoa Salad
- 3 cups golden quinoa -cooked and chilled
- 4 roasted peppers (mixed colors torn into chunks)
- 2 scallions -thinly sliced
- 15 oz canned artichoke hearts packed in water -drained well
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes ("Italian pomodorini”
- 1 lemon -sliced
- 1 tbsp capers
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup fresh Genovese basil leaves or dill -for garnish
- 4 oz vegan feta cheese for serving -Optional
Vegan Basil Pesto (makes 1 cup)
- 2 cups fresh Genovese basil leaves -packed
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, walnuts or hemp seeds
- 3 tbsp walnut parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves garlic -grated
- 3 tbsp cold pressed extra virgin olive oil (use water or veggie stock on a WFPB diet)
- 2.5 tbsp lemon juice -freshly squeezed
- 1 pinch sea salt -optional
- 1 tbsp water
Make the Pesto:
- Add the basil, nuts, olive oil (or water), lemon juice, walnut parmesan and 1 tablespoon of water to the bowl of a food processor. Puree until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the grated garlic. Adjust seasonings to taste with sea salt and set aside until needed.
Roast the Tomatoes:
- Preheat oven to 350”F. Slice the tomatoes lengthwise into thirds or halves. Arrange them in a single layer in a parchment lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt and drizzle lightly with olive oil or a splash of water. Roast for about 30 to 40 minutes until they start to caramelize at the edges.
Assemble the Quinoa Salad:
- Add the quinoa, artichokes, capers, roasted peppers and scallions to a large salad bowl. Pour half of the pesto over the top and using two spatulas toss to combine well. Add more pesto sauce if desired at this point. Sprinkle with the oven roasted tomatoes, pine nuts, pepper flakes and basil and serve with lemon wedges on the side. (Reserve some of the artichoke hearts and peppers for garnish if desired).
$9.99/year. No ads.