Italian green bean tomato salad with a zesty lemon and coco aminos dressing, garlic and fresh herbs. It can be made totally oil free, more of a healthy spin on the classic Southern French Salade Nicoise. It is also gluten and dairy free and of course 100% vegan.
Here’s a farm style salad I’ve been making for a couple of years and photographed before we left L.A. It’s definitely something you should have on repeat all summer for as long as you have tomatoes growing in the garden or they are in season and showing up at the farmers market.
Not to mention what a delicious way to also get more green beans in the belly for a protein loaded salad.
the green beans:
French, string green bean or the yellow wax bean varieties are all great choices here. Just make sure to steam them until al dente, this is not the place for soft or crunchy beans. You want the texture to compliment that of the tomatoes without overcooking or undercooking them of course. That’s why you want to perfectly steam them then dunk in a bowl of ice water as soon as they are done to stop the cooking process. Perfection! Whatever you do just don’t use canned green beans.
Heirlooms are my absolute favorite tomatoes to use raw in salads because nothing beats their flavor. Have fun and use a mix of colors and varieties and different shapes, go for those heavy juicy ones full of flavor.
Green Bean Tomato Salad Add Ins:
- Vegan Feta or Mozzarella Cheese
- Everything but the Bagel Seasonings
- Black Sesame or Hemp Seeds
- Artichoke Hearts & Avocado
- Black Olives
- Sauteed Mushrooms
Not a fan of coco aminos ? No worries, replace it with an Italian balsamic reduction or go a totally different route and dress your green bean salad with this French dijon mustard dressing or even a vegan pesto sauce.
P.S. If you try this recipe please remember to report back, give it a rating, snap a photo and tag me with #VeggieSociety on Instagram, it always makes my day ~ Florentina Xo’s
Italian Green Bean Tomato Salad
Easy green bean tomato salad with a zesty lemon and coco aminos dressing, garlic and fresh herbs. It can be made totally oil free, a healthy spin on the classic Southern French Salade Nicoise.Print Recipe
- Rinse the green beans and cut the ends. Place in a steamer and steam for about 5 to 10 minutes until al dente, not mushy.
- Have a bowl of ice water waiting and as soon as the beans have achieved the desired al dente texture just dump them in the water to stop the cooking process. Allow to sit for a few minutes then drain well.
- Meanwhile slice the tomatoes into small wedges. If you have any cherry/ grape tomatoes make sure to half them as well so their juices are exposed.
- Transfer both the sliced tomatoes and cooked green beans to a salad bowl. Drizzle with the coco aminos and lemon juice. Sprinkle with the fresh herbs and mix in the grated garlic. Only add half the garlic at first then taste and add more to your liking. Adjust seasonings to taste with a tiny pinch of sea salt if needed.
Calories: 74kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 224mg | Potassium: 434mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 1520IU | Vitamin C: 32.6mg | Calcium: 62mg | Iron: 1.6mg
Servings: 4 people